Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 16, 2017

Pairing Hearphones with Mac Mini

I have a Mac mini running macOS Sierra 10.12.5. I am trying to pair my Hearphones, no other Bluetooth devices are currently paired. My Mac mini does not recognize my Hearphones. I have an Android phone that paired easily to the Hearphones. I tried turning off Bluetooth on the phone and even turning the phone off completely, still unable to pair to the Mac mini.

My much older MacBook pro is running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. This pairs for output, no input.

Any suggestions? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 25, 2017

Re: Pairing Hearphones with Mac Mini

Check out p. 20 of the User manual in the Help section of the Bose Hear ios app:

"With your headphones powered on, press and hold the Power/Bluetooth button until you hear 'Ready to pair' "

Then it will show up in the Bluetooth pref pane and menu bar.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 16, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by theriac

This is the "key" thing that I somehow missed. You cannot be wearing the Hearphones when you press the Power/Bluetooth button. I don't know if that's the same deal with regular headphones [it does say "until you hear 'Ready to Pair' "]. 

It also took a few tries. It kept saying "Pairing rejected". I think I may have needed to wait until the LED went to a solid blue. 

Anyway, they are paired and I can watch and listen to "From the Ashes" tonight, a documentary my daughter worked on as archival producer.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi theriac,

Thanks for joining us here. The good news is, if the connection with the Android phone works, your Hearphones are fine.

Did your Hearphones work with the Mac Mini before you got Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5 ?

Here's a support article on the Apple site OS X El Capitan: Set up Bluetooth audio devices.

I don't have a Mic Mini or MacBook Pro so I can't share personal experiences from connecting my Hearphones to these devices.

ST

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 16, 2017

I did not own the hearphones when my Mac Mini was at a different version than Sierra 10.12.5. Bluetooth does not even see the hearphones. Since it doesn't appear as an audio device I cannot do Step 1 from the El Capitan setup. Bluetooth on the mac mini works for other devices.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 25, 2017

Check out p. 20 of the User manual in the Help section of the Bose Hear ios app:

"With your headphones powered on, press and hold the Power/Bluetooth button until you hear 'Ready to pair' "

Then it will show up in the Bluetooth pref pane and menu bar.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 16, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by theriac

This is the "key" thing that I somehow missed. You cannot be wearing the Hearphones when you press the Power/Bluetooth button. I don't know if that's the same deal with regular headphones [it does say "until you hear 'Ready to Pair' "]. 

It also took a few tries. It kept saying "Pairing rejected". I think I may have needed to wait until the LED went to a solid blue. 

Anyway, they are paired and I can watch and listen to "From the Ashes" tonight, a documentary my daughter worked on as archival producer.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi theriac,

Great news. Enjoy "From the Ashes". Thanks for mentioning that. It looks really interesting.

Not to argue with success, I've never needed to remove the headset in order to pair, but I'm glad that worked for you. Thanks for letting us know.

ST