E_Colorado
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 26, 2018

Sleep Buds Disconnect During Night

I had this problem for 3 nights:

After an hour or two, the left sleepbud stopped making sound, and reported "Disconnected" in the app. I had to put the buds back in the case, take them back out to get them to reconnect, then go back to sleep, only to have the same problem happen again... and if I fell back asleep with the left bud disconnected, eventually the right bud would disconnect too.

In all cases, I had my phone 1 foot from my head all night. No other bluetooth, wifi, microwave, or other 2.4 GHz range devices were nearby to cause interference.

I'm on version 1.5.6. The phone is a Pixel 2 XL.

Why do these need to maintain a constant bluetooth connection in order to function? As I understand, the sounds and alarms are stored locally in the sleep buds, so why don't they continue to play sounds, even if they lose connection to the phone?

31 REPLIES 31
Tony_A
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: Sleep Buds Disconnect During Night

Hi E_Colorado

Thank you for writing in!  Sorry to hear about the connection issues, but would be happy to assist!

Have you been able to test with a different mobile device like a tablet by chance?

Can you check the Sleep app to confirm what the firmware version is for the headset?

Let us know so we can further assist!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

jonat
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 25, 2018

I had this problem after a few months of use. The right bud would simply stop after about two hours, and the app would report "Disconnected". (The left bud was fine.) Putting it in the case and then taking it out would restart it, but not for long. A call to Bose support yielded the information that some of the buds incorrectly report their charging level to the case, causing the case to think they're fully charged when they're not. The 1.01 case update had, as one of its changes, a fix related to this, but I already had that and it didn't help.

Bose sent me a replacement set, which I received today. I will be trying them tonight. I don't get the impression that they know what causes this, and just swap out buds until you get a set that works. I recommend that you call Bose support if you can - while the hold time was very long, once I got a rep on the line he was very helpful.

Don't get too hung up on the "Disconnected". The buds don't need a constant connection for their basic function (sounds and one alarm.) It seems that a "disconnected" bud has simply run out of power, without reporting that. (The app has a setting to wake you with an alarm if a bud is about to lose power, but in this case the bud is misreporting the level and you don't get the alarm.)

dandrewk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

I have the same issues with one of the buds, now on its second replacement.  They worked perfectly for a few weeks, then started that midddle of night disconnection.  Sometimes I've been awake in bed, very still, and the left bud just... stops.  Once this issue starts, it's persistant.

I agree the issue seems to be with incorrect charge levels.  The latest firmware doesn't completely fix it.  Sometimes resetting the base helps, but not always.

Try this:  If you get the disonnection error and you are certain the buds were fully charged, reconnect and note the battery charge for each bud.  Then reset the base, force close the app, reconnect and look at the charge percentage again. On mine, the two buds appear to be equally charged.  But after the reset, it can show the left bud having a much higher charge percentage than the right.  Recharging both to 100% should solve the problem... for at least awhile.

I'm trying another method, so far with good results.  Let both of the buds completely drain:  connect them, start a sound and then monitor occassionally to see if both are playing.  With mine, they drain to a certain point and then the "problematic" bud arbitrariily disoconnects.  When that happens, I reset the base, restart the app and got battery level readings that showed the left bud WAY more charged than the right.  I make then sure -both- buds get drained, recharge them both and (hopefully) good as new!

Honestly, though, it's riduculous we have to take these steps.  It's so irritatingly simple - How about when we turn the buds on, they STAY on?  Isn't that a basic, critical function of any powered device?  This is a potentially important product, so let's all hope Bose gets it's act together and make it usable.

hsnewman
Participant
Registered since

Jun 24, 2018

I am having the same problem and have upgraded both the case and the buds and checked on Sunday.  Monday night the left bud disconnected about 2AM last night the right bud disconnected at 1AM.  Both times I woke up given the change.  Both were 100% power when I put in, both times the phone was in the same room.  Any other suggestions other than calling Bose?

jonat
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 25, 2018

Even though the app says 100%, the buds may not be charged fully. I recommend you call Bose.

hsnewman
Participant
Registered since

Jun 24, 2018

@jonat wrote:

Even though the app says 100%, the buds may not be charged fully. I recommend you call Bose.

I just did.  Sending replacement.

Floridamom5
Participant
Registered since

Mar 15, 2019

I am having the same trouble with my left earbud, I have updated the case, tried resetting it, and both earbuds are fully charged. It will stay connected for about 30 minutes, then I can reconnect it, it will then only stay connected for about two minutes at a time after that. So frustrating. Seems easier to go back to earplugs. Disappointing they are not more reliable. I dread a long phone call to customer service. I love them when they actually work.
Sam_F

Hi, floridamom5! Thank you for your post - and welcome to the Bose Community.

I am sorry to hear that your Sleepbuds are not functioning as you expect. Based on the information you have provided, it seems you have correctly tested the standard troubleshooting steps for this particular issue. I would recommend trying one more step, to see if this could solve the issue.

1. Open the Sleep app.
2. Remove the Sleepbuds from case to avoid an incidental connection.
3. In the upper right corner of the screen, tap the gear icon to open the Settings screen.
4. At the bottom of Settings, tap "DISCONNECT."

5. Once disconnected, place the Sleepbuds back in the case.
6. On the mobile device, toggle Bluetooth off and back on.
7. Close the case cover and reopen it.
8. Remove the Sleepbuds from the case so they create a new connection with the Sleep app and mobile device.

Let me know if this resolves your issue.

Warm Regards,

Sam F

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Floridamom5
Participant
Registered since

Mar 15, 2019

Well, I did what you recommended, the left connected for one night of sleep, and now I cannot get it to connect at all. It is fully charged- according to the lights on the charger, I have reset the case. I tired using my iPad instead of my phone. In reading a lot of these messages it seems like many people have trouble with the left sleep bud. Can I bring them in to my local Bose store? I really liked them when they worked, but to spend all this time trying to get them working is frustrating.