lguynn1
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 16, 2018

Sleep Buds on Airplane Mode

I just received the Sleep Buds. I normally keep my phone in the other room at night to avoid being disturbed. I'm concerned I'm going to get a text, notificaton of call during the night and will be woken up. Has anyone tried these on Airplane Mode on the iPhone? 

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Mutnat
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

Re: Sleep Buds on Airplane Mode

@lguynn1 wrote:

I just received the Sleep Buds. I normally keep my phone in the other room at night to avoid being disturbed. I'm concerned I'm going to get a text, notificaton of call during the night and will be woken up. Has anyone tried these on Airplane Mode on the iPhone? 

Thanks!

@lguynn1 I don't know much about the Sleep Buds so can't answer this--however, I did notice another similar sounding thread here:  https://community.bose.com/t5/Wireless-Headphones/Bose-Sleepbuds-Phone-free-mode/m-p/140696#M26075.  From that thread, I would say that currently it sounds like they need to be connected to a phone so I'm guessing they would not work at all in airplane mode.  From a review I read, the buds don't have any ANC, so without the phone to supply the white noise, I think they would be of minimal use.  It does sound (from that thread) like Bose is considering adding a mode that doesn't require the phone, but if/when it will be released is a mystery.

EDIT: I just noticed there's a whole area of the community dedicated to the sleep buds: https://community.bose.com/t5/Bose-Noise-Masking-Sleepbuds/bd-p/Bose-Sleepbuds.  You may want to look there, maybe it will have the answers you seek.

EDIT 2: yes it looks like they require the phone connection currently:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Bose-Noise-Masking-Sleepbuds/Do-Sleepbuds-Require-the-App-to-be-Runnin...

Hi lguynn1,

Thanks for posting. Just wanted to drop in and say @Mutnat is correct, the SleepBuds require a constant connection to your phone via Bluetooth to function. They would not work in airplane mode as intended.

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

Maz
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 2, 2018

It seems like they need the BT on BUT you can still place your phone on Airplane mode but enable BT only, this way you won’t get any calls or emails and you can have your phone next to your bedside.
STEPS:
1. Bull down/up your iPhone to access the control center (depending on old or latest iPhone)
2. Click on the airplane icon. This should disable; cellular, WiFi and BT
3. Click on the BT icon to enable your BT connection

And that’s it
Highlighted
Ozwel
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

Hi,

You don't need Bluetooth or anything for the sleepbuds to work. Actually, you need Bluetooth only to enable them and program them. That's all. Then you can go full Airplane mode or even turn off your phone. When you start playing the sound of your choice, you can also "push" an alarm setting to the buds and once it's pushed you don't need the phone anymore.

The next morning you wake up you only have to put the sleepbuds in their case to turn them off and load their battery. That's it.

So, no need for anything like Bluetooth. Full airplane mode is ok during the night.

jonat
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 25, 2018

It concerns me that we have Bose representatives giving incorrect information in the forum. The Sleepbuds app and instructions explicitly say that, while you need a phone to start them playing and to set alarms, a phone connection is not needed after that (as long as you can deal with having only one alarm.)  I have also seen Bose reps saying that one can't use any USB charger except the one in the box, and that others have "high voltage or current".