Highlighted
jimh12345
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 18, 2017

Re: Sleep Library has NO new noise masking sounds, only has overly bright new "relaxation"

The hardware is great - small, comfortable, good battery life. The software is another story.

The need to use Bluetooth and consume little power mean they can't stream and files must be small. I get that.

If Bose thinks white noise and other masking sounds are boring and won't sell, I think they'll be dealing with a lot of returns and I for one can't recommend the product at this time. At least give us a way to add our own files, or download some alternatives from Bose.
dandrewk
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

Re: Sleep Library has NO new noise masking sounds, only has overly bright new "relaxation"

So many of the issues relayed in this thread come from lack of understanding about BLE, and... well... not reading the instructions.

BLE is what makes the buds possible.  Without it, the buds would have to be much larger or have very little battery life.  Either of those choices is a deal breaker.  BLE is exactly what is stands for:  Bluetooth Low Energy.  In short, the level of granular control we are used to with standard BT just isn't possible.  

So we can forget about adding our "own sounds" anytime soon.  Nor will we be able to adjust those sounds much beyond volume (I'm hoping for balance control).  This forces us to rely on Bose for the sounds, and there will never be a point where eveyone is happy.

e.g. Prior to latest release, most of the sounds were noise masking.  So it does make sense that this first batch of available sounds would be for relaxation.  But there will be more.

Also, you do NOT have to take a day off from work because the buds can take up to three hours to transfer a sound.  Read the instuctions - start the transfer when you are -using- the buds, presumably at night in bed.  You'll have the sound ready to go when you wake up.

Aqaddomi
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 16, 2018

well , even though new sounds marked as " for relaxation". still some of them are absolutely for masking ,,, such as "Country Road" , it do great job ( maybe the best selection) against outside noise like constructions works.

so , i don't think "Country Road" sound should be marked as relaxation sound at first 🙂 

jonat
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 25, 2018

The use of BLE for control is unrelated to the sounds themselves, which play from storage within the buds. BLE could, theoretically, be used to stream low-quality audio - after all, a lot of hearing aids already do this. But the battery usage would be problematic.

I'm guessing that the sounds are encoded in a proprietary compressed format, and Bose isn't (yet) giving us the tools to do the compression and transfer. It may come in time.

I agree with those who are perplexed that Bose, in the "Sound Library", seems to be focusing on "relaxation" sounds when, as noted, they are more marketed as to be used to mask irritating sounds. Personally, I have no use for the "relaxation" sounds, but there are a couple of the masking sounds that work for me so I'm not currently looking for new sounds.

Radaway
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 11, 2018

dandrewk

You mentioned: <Read the instuctions - start the transfer when you are -using- the buds, presumably at night in bed.  You'll have the sound ready to go when you wake up.>

I did read the instuctions , but did you read what I wrote ? . (inability to D/L all the sounds at 1 go ). It's (painstakingly) 1 by 1 now .   Sequential (in short ...aaargghh)

also, did you (or anyone on this forum ) try to install all the sounds , where one comes to the point when the  BOSE app. mentions, 1st delete existing sounds to free up space.
I want to know what are your experiences here. ..... for me it
's pathetic without going into the details (taste it yourself).

but then again maybe I didnt read the 'instructions' .  :-s

dandrewk
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

@Radaway, yes I read what you wrote.  Why is it that the automatic response is "you didn't read my post"?  Yes, I read it, it's not a dense manifesto.  But did -you- read what -I- wrote?

BLE will never be able to multi stream.  It will always be slow and sequential.  If you take issue with this, complain to those responsible:  https://www.bluetooth.com

As to the second part of your post:  Since you didn't specify what issue you had with deleting sounds, it's hard to know what is so "pathetic".  To answer your question, the process could not have been more painless or intuitive for me.  I just chose what sounds I didn't want, and the new sound started to install immediately.  Slowly.  Sequentially.  Properly.  I have no complaints.