qkypgy
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 28, 2019

The definition of insanity

At first, I was willing to overlook some of the issues, but now, after 8 months, I’m done. Not only has the Sleepbuds not improve my sleep, they pretty much ruined my sleep by giving me so much frustration every time I use them – at bedtime – when I’m supposed to be relaxed.

I bought the Sleepbuds when they were first released back in July 2018. I was super excited.

The first few months, the Sleepbuds were fine. I did have connection issues here and there, but most of the time, they worked fine. They would disconnect during the night, but by then, I’ve already fallen asleep, so it wasn’t a huge issue.

My biggest complaint during the initial honeymoon period was with the charging mechanism. There were many days when I thought I put them in the case correctly for charge only to find them completely empty at bedtime.  They were not being charge at all due to the awful charging pins that you had to be super careful about lining up to ensure proper charging. It was an annoyance, sure, but not a deal breaker.

Over time, however, they failed. Now they are just completely unusable.

When they work, they would fail during usage.

One of the buds, either right or left, will be disconnected about 5~10 minutes of use. Before, this probably happened a few hours or so after I’ve fallen asleep so I didn’t notice the buds were not playing sound until the morning.

Now, however, I had to sit up, put the bud in the case, take them out, hoping they would just reconnect. Sometimes it works, but most of the time, they failed again after another 5 minutes. I sit up again, put them in case, reset with paper clip, put them back in ear, hoping they work, they fail…. Lather, rinse, repeat. You get the idea.

When they don’t work, it made my blood boil. The Sleepbuds simply refused to connect to my phone. Every. Single. Time.

I’m talking about at bedtime, when I’m all relaxed and feeling fresh for bed. And then, I take out my Sleepbuds.

I open the app on my iPhone, see the Bose splash screen…

“Searching nearby…”

I take out the Sleepbuds from the case.

“We’re still looking for your sleepbuds”.

I wait and I pray that it works.

“Left/Right buds not found”

I know if I waited a bit, they will be found. And then…oh good, both buds found, I’m almost there!

“Connecting…”

I waited, full of hope.

“Oops… We couldn’t connect to your sleepbuds. To restart…”

O_o

I restart the process. “Left/Right buds not found”. I waited. But they are never found. I placed the Sleepbuds back in the case, reset with paper clip. Nothing. Nothing ever works with this junk.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Oh why do I torture myself like this?

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

How low I’ve sunk.

I am DONE with this product. I don’t care to get any replacement from Bose. I just want my money back.

For $250 plus tax, this product is NOT ready from primetime. It is outrageous that Bose, a respected company, is releasing this “wellness” product on the market that is literally driving its users insane. I have a lot more frustration to rant, but I'm too tired and sleep deprived at the moment. 

If you haven’t encounter issues? Trust me, you will.

If you are thinking about buying this product? Please don't. For your sanity's sake.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: The definition of insanity

Hi Qkypgy,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community! 

Thank you for taking the time to review our product, I am very sorry you are experiencing issues with your SleepBuds. In this instance I would recommend reaching out to your local Customer Support Centre who will be able to assist you further. To do this follow this link, select your region, scroll to the bottom of the page and select contact us. Our team will be more than happy to help you!

We are always looking to improve our products and customer feedback is a vital part of doing this. So I would like to thank you again for taking the time to review our product.

I hope you have a wonderful day. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky_W - Community Support

N
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2018

It’s too bad they didn’t work out for you, but don’t dismiss their usefulness for others. Mine are defective (the clicking or vibration noise in one bud) and every replacement has also been defective but in the end, they still allow me to sleep at night when before my neighbours would wake me up constantly. They are the reason I’m still somewhat sane 🙂

Yes it’s a deeply flawed product but I’m glad they released it when I needed it the most. Looking forward to mark 2 someday.

Please give them a chance to try and work out the issue with yours, customer support is excellent. Have you tried phone free mode?
qkypgy
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 28, 2019

Hi N, you must be a saint for giving Bose so many chances if "every replacement has also been defective".

I've looked at the support forum. I know my issue with this product is NOT unique by any means. It is a deeply flawed product that should not have been released on market.

Yes. I gave them a chance by waiting until now, using the product for a full 8 months to express my frustration. I do not make this claim lightly. If Bose will provide me with mark 2 product free of charge after they've cleaned up all the mess with, lets face it, a beta test release, then I'll applaud them. But right now, I'm just tired.

When I told people how much this thing cost, they gasped. I absolutly believed in the concept of the Sleepbuds, that's why I spent my hard earned money to buy them on the first release day! But after the experience I've had. I feel like a fool.

I've had better experince using QuietComfort II (Yes, I am a loyal Bose customer) to play rain sound than using this Sleepbuds.

dandrewk
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

If you use the "phone free mode" in the settings, you won't have any connection issues as the Buds won't need one.  It makes it simple - the Buds are off while charging in the case, and on whenever you pull them out.

Only caveat - you won't be able to use the alarm function.  And if you need to change the sound and/or volume, you will need to temporarily disable phone free mode.

Highlighted
Lytton
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 2, 2019

There is clearly some generic problem which Bose dies not want to confirm. I feel for you as Bose is not very helpful re this type of problem being encountered by many customers. They should be more open and helpful.

I sent my malfunctioning sleepbuds to Bose Sydney, by arrangement through Support, for replacement. Free postage and was told 2-3 weeks delay. That proved to be accurate, although a little long for simple replacement. New ones have to be charged and paired with phone app. You have to ‘forget’ the old pairing with the previous buds. A simple step but Bose doesn’t tell you that—you just get another copy of the original instructions. Performance: So far so good (2 nights). Charging seems better in case, and case charge is holding better. Sleepbuds are discharging in use  symmetrically—none of the previous rapid discharge in one or the other. Now to see how they go over the next few weeks. It seems the replacements are fully updated re software, but perhaps Bose could provide that advice with the replacements. I think Bose could provide a bit more information in the replacement process.