Pacerintl
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 5, 2018

Re: This unit is basically "throw away" after the battery dies.

Die after only 500 recharges...do we know how recharing works? That is a good number of charges. Sixteen months on a $500 device is great. Just imagine Bose wanting to make a profit on a very limited distribution device? Anyone have any idea on the money that was risked on developing such a device? There is nothing else like it...and for $499..oh please.
Highlighted
jimh12345
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 18, 2017

It's possible that someone figures out how to replace the batteries without destroying the unit; however it probably wouldn't be cheap and of course would invalidate any warranty.
Pacerintl
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 5, 2018

This a gift of a lifetime, try to remember that. It's first generation...is it perfect? No, 1st generation things never are. Anyone want to go back to the old days? Yea, me neither.
mwj1
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 20, 2018

I have a final question for the Bose and Squaretrade folks regarding the Bose Headphone extended warranty. Are the following 2 scenarios true/accurate?

• If I do NOT buy the extended warranty and my battery goes bad for ANY reason on day # 366 or above, I have no recourse other than to buy a brand new unit for the full price.

• If I DO buy the extended warranty and my battery goes bad for ANY reason up to day # 1,095 (3 years), I can get a brand new unit or full reimbursement from Bose or Squartrade.

I am considering buying the extended warranty, (Amazon 3 year, $42.00) but something just does not sound right about this. It seems silly to NOT purchase the extended warranty since it will provide insurance that I will be able to use my Hearphone for AT LEAST another year before I have to recycle it or throw it in the trash. 

I’m not trying to be difficult here, I love my Hearphone and I think it is a real game changer for the industry. I just want to make sure I understand the terms of the extended warranty. If possible, please provide me with an OFFICIAL response to this. 

Community Manager

Hi mwj1,

Please call Bose Hearphones Support 1-800-761-2673 to discuss your questions related to warranty and extended warranty.

Thank you,

ST

mwj1
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 20, 2018

Ok, I finally figured it out... It turns out that SquareTrade (extended warranty vendor) does indeed offer a full replacement for 3 years for the Hearphone unit. This cost me $68.00 (direct from SquareTrade). As strange as it may seem, I am now fully covered for 3 years - including the situation in which my battery simply dies. So, I am covered for the first year by Bose and the 2nd and 3rd years from SquareTrade. I have never purchased an extended warranty on anything, but this is a special situation. Kind of strange, actually. 

Community Manager

Hello mwj1,

Thank you for bringing us this update.

ST

Community Manager

emich
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 17, 2017

I think the concern about the battery is real. My Hearphones battery died after 11 months with daily charging and occasional charging twice a day. However, Bose Customer Service is outstanding - they sent me a replacement pair, with (if I understand correctly) a fresh 12 month warranty.

I had been in the habit of plugging in when the Hearphones got below 50% if I thought I would need them. I am going to change my charging habits going forward and run these all the ways down each time in the hopes of extending the battery life. Does anyone know if this is the best way to treat the battery?

Bose, I hope you address this someday - many other consumer electronic devices have replaceable batteries (like phones, for example).

mwj1   - good move on getting the extended warranty. I wish I had done that.

silvergull
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 22, 2018

@emich wrote:

"I think the concern about the battery is real. My Hearphones battery died after 11 months with daily charging and occasional charging twice a day. However, Bose Customer Service is outstanding - they sent me a replacement pair, with (if I understand correctly) a fresh 12 month warranty.

I had been in the habit of plugging in when the Hearphones got below 50% if I thought I would need them. I am going to change my charging habits going forward and run these all the ways down each time in the hopes of extending the battery life. Does anyone know if this is the best way to treat the battery?"

I've been curious about that as well. My young adult sons tell me that devices no longer need to be run down to empty before recharging to preserve the battery, but I honestly have no clue. I hope Bose will be able to answer it for us soon.

Community Manager

Hi emich, silvergull.

Thank you both for expressing your concerns.  I've had a lot of devices with rechargeable batteries over the years, and the advice has changed with advances in battery technology.  Please give me some time to do some research. In the meantime, you can do what I do.  Charge your Hearphones whenever you're not using them, so they are ready to give you hours of service when you need them.

ST