Soundjunkie
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 20, 2018

Re: Won’t charge past 58%

I too have this problem with my left ear bud. I’m now on the second pair of sleep buds after the kind folks at the Bose store swapped out my first pair after one of the buds stopped charging at all. Now after three months or so with this second pair my left bud only charges to 58% but dies after 3 hours. I’m on the latest firmware, I hoped updating would fix my problem without success. I haven’t called Bose support yet for this, just don’t want to have to go without my buds for a undetermined length of time waiting for a fix, Bose, what’s going on here? I have a house full of Bose gear but these give me more problems than anything else. 

Thanks

Rwardjr
Participant
Registered since

Jul 28, 2019

I’ve been having this issue too, along with another weird symptom.  After a bunch of reading...

I periodically check them and charge is 100/58 (L/R). I’ll turn them on and with 3mins the right one dies. 

After a day or two of charging they will both be fully charged according to LED but will not connect. I’ll press the reset button and they connect at 100/58 or 100/1. 

Im so tired of messing with these things. 

Certainly not up to Bose quality. 

Guess it’s time to call someone about it. 

SleepyOne
Participant
Registered since

Jul 28, 2019

I may have a solution to the 58% thing.  Not sure.
Like others, had my buds for a couple of months. Love them. Then the right one was became stricken with the 58% illness, and nothing I could do would get it to charge past that (all firmware updates, lots of resets, etc.).  I gave up after about 3 weeks. Bose was wonderful about it, and shipped me a new set right away.

But while waiting for the new set to arrive, I did something that seemed to fix them  - both started charging to 100% again (for several days)!  But then the replacement ones from Bose showed up and so I sent the original ones back as Bose had requested.  So I wasn't able to do more testing.

Here is what I did. Perhaps someone else can try this ...
(1) Do the usual (put them in the case and let them charge for several hours).
(2) Open the case, but do NOT remove the buds.  The white lights on both sides should be on full indicating both buds are fully charged (but of course, we all know one of them isn't, even though both lights are on).

(3) WITHOUT removing the buds and with the CASE STILL OPEN, do the paperclip reset thing by sticking a paperclip into the hole on the back of the case.  Careful not to dislodge the buds while doing so.  You can tell the reset actually happened, because all the white lights on the case will momentary go out and then come back on again (because you left the case open, you will see the lights).

(4) Both white charging lights will start flashing again, indicating the buds are charging.  Shut the case and leave them alone to charge for another hour or so.  When I took mine out after that, the right one had charged up to 75%.  I used them that night, did normal charging on the following days (just put them in the case and left them each day) and both charged properly to 100% again every day after that.

Maybe it was just luck.  Or maybe they are haunted.  I don't know.  Someone else should try my sequence though, in case it works.  I don't think the battery is actually bad. This has the feel of a software/firmware "glitch" where things get into some funny state and the case thinks they are fully charged when they aren't and stops charging them.  Good luck!  If this works (or doesn't work) for you, please report back here.

ace_v
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

I'll try this out! Let's see if it does anything on my end.

I've been unable to charge the right sleepbud above 58% the past seven days now, despite two resets.

One time the 58% charge lasted the entire night, going down to only 27%.

Then the next night the bud refused to charge and I was stuck with a 1% charge before going to bed. Needless to say I did not get a good night's rest then, and suffered through an entire workday with a splitting headache and low energy.

When will Bose engineers actually adress this issue? I'm sure this community is tired of the same canned response, and this site's customer support must be equally frustrated at all the complaints.

Cjih90
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

I just had the 1% charge thing happen to me last night too. I slept terribly and im beyond pissed off that it still has not been fixed.The problem is getting worse! Have they not even tested these buds before selling them? And if it's a firmware issue why not just re release the firmware that we had prior to this issue?

Cjih90
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Bose can you at least give us the option to download the sleeptracks so we can play them on speakers that work while our 379 dollar buds can be used as ear plugs? We have become accustomed to sleeping with a certain sound just allow us to download the tracks please that's all I ask for while I wait for you to fix the charging problem.

Jayne133
Participant
Registered since

Aug 5, 2019

I'm about to order my third pair because I can't sleep without them.  but same problem every time with the left earbud.  Get about 3 months out of them before the left one dies....

smika
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 5, 2019

That sound like a good idea. I also still have problems with my already 4th bose sleepbuds set in 1 year (So every 3 months, they send me new one). I tried everything to solve the left ear issue, but I can't fiure it out with any solution I already found on the web. Today i called again with Bose, and it seems that my SerialNumber on the case where you puth the buds in is different then the SeriaNumber I found on my box they delivered? So maybe they send me a new box with an old case?

If other buds works please let us download the sound! Hopefully there will be a solution soon!

Smika

jswing
Contributor
Registered since

May 14, 2019

I just ordered my third pair as well, I really hope they get this fixed because if I have to call back again I’m gonna fight for a full refund this is ridiculous! I bought mine in April of this year  and they have helped me sleep better! 

smika
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 5, 2019

Today I called Bose again. They will send me a new pair tomorrow. I was suprised that she told me that they are working really hard for a solution for the 58% issue. For now she told me that when a person recieved his new ears, he needs to update the ears via a laptop BEFORE the ears are gonna be connect to any other device. This procedure will not work if you already have the 58% issue. 

This weekend I will do this proces, let see how this works.

Smika

EDIT:

Here are the instructions they send me a hour ago:

o Go on a laptop or PC to btu.bose.com
o Accept the terms.
o Download the Bose Updater
o Install it on your PC
o When the updater is installed, the page will refresh itself, when this doens't happen, click on "click here" of the left bottom.

o Connect your device to your computer via USB.
o When there is an update available, download it to your device.
o You should see a progress bar on your screen.
o When the update is finished, remove the device form you PC and now you can connect your phone to the buds. 

(translated from dutch)