thersites
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

World Volume questions

I'm familiar with the noise cancellation on the Bose QC 30 which can be progressively disabled, and I'm wondering how the "world volume" setting on the hearphones compares. Specifically, when one increases the world volume setting, does the volume of everything outside simply increase, or are voices amplified while other noises (typically suppressed by noise cancellation) are reduced?

When one sets noise cancellation on the QC30s to maximum, background noise is greatly reduced, but voices are less affected, which leads me to believe that for hearing conversations, the optimal combination would involve noise cancellation and some form of voice boost.

5 REPLIES 5
ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Re: World Volume questions

Hi thersites,

That's a great question.

World Volume is the primary controller for Bose Hearphones. Just like the volume setting on the phone controls the loudness of the customer’s music, podcast and phone calls, the World Volume setting controls the loudness of live voices, TV and other environmental sounds. Each customer adjusts the World Volume so that it’s just right for them and for each place they are.

• Above “0,” the Bose Hearphones will amplify the environment in a special way: Quiet sounds are amplified more than loud sounds so that all sounds can be heard but none are uncomfortable. This is helpful when the customer needs to hear conversation in acoustically challenging environments.

• At “0,” the environment will sound as loud as it would if the Bose Hearphones weren’t worn.

• Below “0,” the Bose Hearphones will reduce sounds in the environment. This is useful so that the customer can escape loud environmental sounds and either focus on their smartphone content or just enjoy the quiet.

The World Volume can be adjusted on the device or using the app. All World Volume settings use Bose Acoustic Noise Cancelling™ technology.

Does that help?

ST

thersites
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

Yes. It's interesting that the differentiation is made between softer and louder sounds rather than voice vs. other sounds. 

Is Bass/Treble a setting that users adjust frequently as well? (it's on the same screen in the iOS app) I ask because I think it should be probably be part of a user's audio profile and apply to all presets. To this end, it should probably be a bit more granular; I've seen some PSAPs actually incorporate a simplified hearing test which then displays the user's hearing as a frequency graph. 

ST - Hearphones
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi thersites,

Let's talk about the presets. In the Bose Hear app, these are called Modes.

Hearphones are engineered to give you a lot of control balanced with convenience.  Out of the box, there are four Modes:

• Focussed Conversation
  • Group Conversation
  • Music
  • Television

Each Mode is a snapshot of the four settings below.

• World Volume
  • Directivity (Focussed/Front/Everywhere)
  • Treble/Bass
  • Left/Right Balance

You can create a new Mode from your current settings (four settings above) at any time, or you can overwrite an existing mode with your current settings.

I find it useful to have different settings for Treble/Bass and Left/Right Balance for each Mode.

As far as adjusting Bass/Treble; for me, I tend to use my Hearphones and control the Directivity and World Volume on the Hearphones. I don't always have my iPad handy, so I don't have access to the Bass/Treble and Left/Right Balance. I might use these settings more if I had an IOS or Android phone, but I don't.

Are we getting closer to what you want to know?

I am interested to know how often others adjust the Bass/Treble and Left/Right Balance.

ST

thersites
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

Thanks for the information about modes.

I'm really interested in how the Bose Hearphones can adapt to the particular characteristics of its user's hearing; that is why I think there should be a hearing profile independent of the bass/treble settings. Would Bose consider such a feature?

ST - Hearphones
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi thersites,

I'll take that as a suggestion and pass it on to the Engineers.

Thanks,

ST