Noctare
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 13, 2018

Worth it?

Please tell me that there are new HD sounds with longer loops coming. If these were compatible with an app like naturespace, not only would these be worth the (nearly) $400 that I paid but they would literally fly off the shelves. As it currently stands, these are nothing more than a glorified "sound machine" that you put in your ears. The design and function are perfect but the content offerings are poor at best. I have to say that this was the first time I've ever regretted spending my money on a Bose product. I'll keep them but until there are better and longer sound mixes available these feel like a very expensive novelty item.
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Worth it?

Hi Noctare,

Thanks for sharing your experience with your Sleepbuds. The reason why you wouldn't be able to use a different app like Naturespace is, in order to achieve a form factor small enough to be comfortable for sleeping AND fit a battery that can support sound playback for an entire night, we made the conscious design decision to not stream audio constantly throughout the night. Instead, we store the sound files on each sleepbud™ and play them back locally, dramatically extending the audio playback time achievable in our breakthrough form factor.

As far as new sounds, I would recommend making sure you keep your sleepbuds updated by using the Sleepbuds app. Also, keep an eye on the community because when new updates are available we post them here.

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

digitalmediaphile
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 22, 2018

I found that only Cascade was usable for me. They've talked about a Sound Library where you can replace sounds (they are stored in the buds themselves so I don't belive you will ever be able to use an external app). I'm on my 2nd replacement set of buds.. In talking with support, I've asked about the timing of the Sound Library and they first said 90 days or so (back in June as I recall). Then the second time around they said "hopefully this year" which to me means they are having issues getting it working. I also regret spending this amount of money. If I COULD get my money back at this point (I bought the day they went on sale), believe me, I would. This 3rd set of buds isn't as bad as the first 2, but I find that the sound changes after a few hours from the "Cascade" to more of a plain brown noise. 

What they should do to demonstrate to us that there actually will be a sound library is to make the upcoming sound files available as mp3's on their web site so we can hear samples. Future buyers would appreciate that. 

I've actually discouraged others from purchasing these due to my bad experiences and the missing Sounds Library. 

Highlighted
jimh12345
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 18, 2017

I understand the tradeoffs necessary to acheive the form factor and battery life. I think loops can work BUT they have to be longer, and fine-tuned to eliminate any noticeable anomalies or rough spots. Sounds like the campfire and the rain need to be a lot less 'edgy' than they are now.

Radaway
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 11, 2018

I had initially pre ordered them thinking that an 'anti-sound' will get produced whenever the buds get confronted with external sounds. Not much was known about the buds around a month or 6 ago and I was 'assuming' that Bose Hi-techies will be going for something like this( sound neutralisation) .

However...heh heh ...you are right , its a kind of glorified "sound machine" and nothing much beyond that. 

Not that I am disrespecting Bose products or  diminishing them, but I think imho, you are also okay with the 5 dollar foam sleep plugs that are available everywhere on the Net. They too do not mask off sounds , however there is no internal sound production possible from them(foam plugs).

dandrewk
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

Radaway - This totally runs counter to my experience and what I have learned about the Buds.

These are NOT noise cancelling buds.  Bose has never advertised them that way, nor would noise cancellation be desirable for this application.  When sleeping, I'd imagine most folks WANT to be awoken for such things as fire/smoke alarms, important phone calls, small children crying for help, fire department pounding on your door telling you to evacuate, etc.  Also, ALL noise cancelling buds WILL apply pressure on the ear drumbs -  for many, this is a deal breaker.

Foam plugs would be a disaster.  Not only would they block all noises, they will be uncomfortable after such a long period.  They wear out, and (in spite of what you say) are VERY adept at making internal noises.

So, the Buds are just a bit more than a glorified sound machine.

Radaway
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 11, 2018

dandrewk
<This totally runs counter to my experience and what I have learned about the Buds.>
Maybe you can Include the topic starter Noctare here too, Noctare started the Topic.

<These are NOT noise cancelling buds. Bose has never advertised them that way, nor would noise cancellation be desirable for this application. When sleeping, I'd imagine most folks WANT to be awoken for such things as fire/smoke alarms, important phone calls, small children crying for help, fire department pounding on your door telling you to evacuate, etc. >

That's the Risk one is and should be willing to take. when I sleep , I want to be in complete La-La land and not at all worried about the above stuff.

<Foam plugs would be a disaster.>
I mean...could be rubber plugs too. I rec'd my Plugs travelling Lufthansa (airways) and they work as good as sleepbuds ...except(ofcourse) generate sound.

<Not only would they block all noises>
wow ,...Now dont I want that 🙂

<they will be uncomfortable after such a long period. They wear out,>
New Ones can be bought . they are ultra cheap.

<and (in spite of what you say) are VERY adept at making internal noises.>
Hmmm....that's a personal experience/opinion

<So, the Buds are just a bit more than a glorified sound machine.>
I hope you are not a cover-up Bose employee here ....heh heh

Seriously speaking : : Finally @ the end of the day , the Market will decide if this product is the sleep panacea.

A year or so from now.... we will all know  if the buds are the  magic bullet or not (Including me too).  We just need the time.