outdoors
Participant
Registered since

Jun 1, 2017

conversation enhancement outdoors

I have had my hearphones since May 22. I am considering returning them.  I have enjoyed the hearphones listening to conversation from the back seat of a car and in a moderately noisy restaurant, even though I got the seat with my back to the wall (not the ideal test). I am retired, and I for the most part, I have traded indoor meetings for outdoor conversations. I lose my companions voices in the wind. When I try to use my hearphones in this kind of situation, I amplfy the wind noise more than the human voice--almost painfully so. Is there any way to do the reverse: minimize wind noise and amplify voices? I have very mild hearing loss, and I was hoping to put off hearing aids, but right now it seems that I may need the more sophisticated sound processing they possess if I am to have any help with this problem.

Looking for advice.....

4 REPLIES 4
Tired of missing out
Participant
Registered since

Jun 15, 2017

Re: conversation enhancement outdoors

I don't think they will be useful outdoors.  Yesterday I was walking in a parking lot with them on and I realized that they turn every breeze into a whoosh.  I think they are intended to be used where the air is still, not moving.

jimdcrowl
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 14, 2017

Wind noise is a huge problem. Any remedy?
DocHowell
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 7, 2017

I do a lot of recording and video making.  Wind suppression is always a problem.  There are two approaches to diffusing the wind sounds; covering the microphone head with a low density "foam", and, putting a furry covering over them (2 - 3 inch long hairs.  Just think of the aesthetic of having these types of things appearing to come out of your ears...............

John

OneEar
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 19, 2017

I've worn hearing aids for many years. They are better now than they used to be with reducing wind noise, but they are far from perfect. I would not abandon Hearphones for aids without careful comparison. The hearing aid manufacturers have been building tinier and tinier devices, which means less room for sophisticated circuitry. I wouldn't assume that aids are more sophisticated in anything but minaturization.

I can't do this very well myself because I am deaf in one ear, but wind noise is often from only one side. You may be able to decrease it by dialing down the windy side.