Highlighted
Sage Wizard
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 7, 2017

frequent loss of bluetooth connectivity

Unless my Android phone is in my pocket while I walk through the house, the voice alert frequently announces "R1HD lost" (the name of my phone).  By just turning around, "R1HD connected"

This appears to be a far shorter range than other bluetooth headsets I use.

1. Is this likely due to a weaker receive antenna in the hearphone yoke?
  2. Would a bluetooth extender solve this problem?

I found this listed on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00713RSE0/ref=psdc_9926003011_t1_B00DQUNODQ

Any help or other user experience appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: frequent loss of bluetooth connectivity

Hi Sage Wizard,

Welcome to the Bose Hearphones Community. I'm glad you joined us.

Comparing experiences: My Hearphones stay connected to my devices up to 25 feet when there's a clear line of sight.  Obstructions or running the microwave oven can negatively impact the performance. I use my Hearphones with my TV, iPad, phone, current computers. The range is lower with my older laptops. The connection may break depending on my posture or orientation but only when I'm at the outside limit of the working range.  I don't have any Android devices. How do your experiences compare?

I haven't tried a Bluetooth extender. I hope others who have will join the conversation.

ST

Highlighted
Sage Wizard
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 7, 2017

Thanks for sharing.  For me, if I am listening to content (Eg: Google play music), walking into the next room will give 'stutter' to the sound, walking one room further will give a voice alert about lost connection. Once back near my phone, I observe the content  has been paused.  Usually  (but not always), pressing the device multi-function button or the phone resume button will start play again.

I ordered the bluetooth extender.  Once I receive it, I will post back with results.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Sage Wizard,

Thanks, for the added information. I'll look forward to hearing how things go with the Bluetooth extender.

ST

Sage Wizard
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 7, 2017

I tried the bluetooth extender referred to in previous post.

Although it does extend the range, the audio quality is terrible.

I returned it to Amazon.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Sage Wizard,

Thank you for coming back to tell us about your experience with the Bluetooth range extender. 

That's too bad. I was hoping this would work better for you.

ST

Highlighted
dibble
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 19, 2017

I wonder whether my new Hearphones are defective, or behaving as expected.  They have a lot of trouble holding a Bluetooth connection. Much more than other bluetooth devices I've used.

The sound glitches frequently (at least once per minute) and sometimes bluetooth comes completely disconnected when the cell phone I'm communicating with is my right front pocket. It glitches much less often (but still some) when my phone is on the desk in front of me.

I haven't yet tried resetting my phone.  The trouble-shooting guide suggests that.  Maybe it will help.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi dibble,

Thank you for joining the Bose Hearphones Community.  I'm sorry you are having trouble holding a Bluetooth connection.

How is the Bluetooth performance with other devices like a tablet or computer?

Please let us know if resetting the phone helps.

If not, please call us at 1-800-761-2673.

Thank you,

ST

Highlighted
dibble
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 19, 2017

--- same kind of problem with bluetooth from a Macbook Pro, the connection is quite a bit worse than with my Pixel phone.

I called Bose for help and they promptly sent me replacement Hearphones.  (Thank you Bose!)

The problem persists.  I'm sad about it.  But, have some more data:

Jiggling the control-pod often triggers a drop-out.  Maybe it's the motion and maybe getting my hand in the way.

Setting the phone on the desk less than two feed of clear air away works fine until I put my hand over my phone.  Then it gets quite bad

I can leave the phone there and walk maybe 50 feet away before the connection gets bad.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi dibble,

Thanks for the update on your Bluetooth issues. I am sorry you are having trouble with the replacement unit.

Jiggling the control pod should not trigger a drop out.  Please call us at 1-800-761-2673 so we can troubleshoot this with you voice-to-voice.

Thank you,

ST