Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 9, 2018

hearphones turn off unprompted

After I set the Auto-off timer on my Hearphones, the next time I used them they started turning themselves off in the middle of ongoing conversation.  The battery level has been greater than 90% when this happened, and as soon as I would turn the unit back on, they would work fine...for a few minutes.  This evening I set the Auto-off timer back to "never" before we went out to the noisy restaurant, and tonight the Hearphones worked perfectly again.   It seems clear that the Auto-off timer software is malfunctioning, and behaving as though there is no audio playing through the device when in fact there is.  I am using the most up to date software for my device.  My question is whether when there is a software update, this problem is likely to be corrected.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: hearphones turn off unprompted

Hi fiddlerjoe,

Thank you for joining the Bose Hear Community.

The Auto-Off timer turns off your Hearphones after there has been no audio playback over Bluetooth (for a set interval or time). It's not deactivated by conversation.

Since we're talking: What firmware version do you have. You can tell by using the Bose Hear App.

Tap the   menu at the top left of the screen.

Tap PRODUCT INFO

The first item is Firmware Version.

The latest firmware is 1.6.4

What have you got?

If you don't have firmware version 1.6.4, if you have a PC or MAC, please go to http://btu.bose.com and follow the prompts on the screen.

Thanks,

ST

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 9, 2018

I do have firmware version 1.6.4.

The app version is 1.3.0
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi fiddlerjoe,

Great - you're up to date with the firmware.

The Auto-Off timer turns off your Hearphones after there has been no audio playback over Bluetooth (for a set interval or time).The auto-off timer is not deactivated by live conversation. Perhaps its greatest benefit is when you fall asleep wearing them (with no music playing).

Try setting the Auto-Off timer to a longer interval that's less likely to interfere with a live conversation.

OR

Try changing Auto-Off to Earbuds Removed. This works better for me based on how I use my Hearphones.

Please let us know if that works better for you.

Thanks,

ST

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 9, 2018

Hi ST,

Thanks!  My reason for activating the Auto-off timer was to preserve battery charge if I forgot to power off the Hearphones after using them.  I had set it for 15 minutes, but at that setting, the Hearphones kept turning off in the middle of live conversation, as I mentioned.   I could try a setting for 30 minutes, or longer and experiment.  For 15 minutes not to have worked, there has to be something malfunctioning with the software or the hardware, so for the time being, I'll continue to have Auto-off set for "Never," and just be sure to power off the Hearphones after use.  Thanks again!

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi fiddlerjoe,

"My reason for activating the Auto-off timer was to preserve battery charge if I forgot to power off the Hearphones after using them."

Try changing Auto-Off to Earbuds Removed. This should help preserve the battery life as long as you remember to take the earbuds out.

ST

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 31, 2018

I wonder if this is what happened to me today. I am still learning how to use my hearphones, and was running errands without my phone, The hearphones would turn off the audio now and then, and if I turned them off with the button and then turned them on again, they would work for another few minutes and then turn the audio off again.

Does that make sense? And if I changed Auto-Off to Earbuds Removed would that solve the problem? (I'll try it next time I am in that situation.)

Also, they would periodically think they were connecting to somebody else's phone and then complain because (I think the prompt said) no device. Mildly annoying, but not critical.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 31, 2018

Actually, the Auto-Off Timer setting says Never. So why were they turning the sound off on their own?

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi bhaugen,

Have you got the latest firmware? Please see:

Firmware 1.6.5 Announcement and discussion

You can the firmware version by using the Bose Hear App.

Tap the   menu at the top left of the screen.

Tap PRODUCT INFO

The first item is Firmware Version.

The latest firmware is 1.6.4

What have you got?

If you don't have firmware version 1.6.4, if you have a PC or MAC, please go to http://btu.bose.com and follow the prompts on the screen.

Thanks,

ST

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 31, 2018

Have you got the latest firmware?

Says 1.6.5 in Settings/Product Info.

App version 1.4.1