Bose Quietcomfort 35 battery question for prospective buyer

SOLVED
Strident Supporter

Re: Bose Quietcomfort 35 battery question for prospective buyer

Jason_G wrote:

Socrates -

To clarify Tony's previous response - Battery replacement for the QC35 headphones is unfortunately not a service that we offer.  Specific information about battery replacement is just not available. Note that we don't offer the battery separately for purchase.  Sorry for any confusion around the issue. 

Clarify?  That's a total contradiction.  Tony repeatedly directed me to a site that he alleged would tell me the cost of battery replacement.  You now tell me that it can't be replaced!

Great.  When my battery dies, I'll have to trash the $350 QC35.  Damned good thing that I put my old QC15 in the closet.

Strident Supporter

ST wrote:

Hi All,

I followed the links and ended up here:
https://www.bose.com/en_us/contact_us.html

The phone number is prominently displayed, and I called.  I made a couple of selections with the number keys on the phone and I was speaking with a friendly person within a minute or two. I put doctordun's question to the person at Bose and I got an answer.

I won't quote the conversation because that conversation was between the person at Bose and me. I imagine that the answers to my questions may vary by region and be subject to local legislation. I will say that the person with whom I spoke represented Bose well. She understood my question and was able to appreciate and respond to my concerns appropriately.

doctordun wrote:

At this price, I am concerned with battery life.

Not how long it works between charges, but a Lithium Ion battery has a useful life and I want to know what it might cost to replace the battery when it ulimately fails. 

I would hate to have to trash my high dollar head phones for a twenty dollar battery.

Doctordun, quoting Tony_G

"The battery for the QC35 is not user replaceable, for questions regarding service and pricing contact your local Bose support by going HERE."

You can follow the link above and make a call or send an email to get the answer for you in your location.

Amazing.  You won't reveal the conversation but you suggest that the battery IS replaceable, which contradicts Jason_G's official Bose response.  Hmmm... 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Socrates wrote:

ST wrote:

Hi All,

I followed the links and ended up here:
https://www.bose.com/en_us/contact_us.html

The phone number is prominently displayed, and I called.  I made a couple of selections with the number keys on the phone and I was speaking with a friendly person within a minute or two. I put doctordun's question to the person at Bose and I got an answer.

I won't quote the conversation because that conversation was between the person at Bose and me. I imagine that the answers to my questions may vary by region and be subject to local legislation. I will say that the person with whom I spoke represented Bose well. She understood my question and was able to appreciate and respond to my concerns appropriately.

doctordun wrote:

At this price, I am concerned with battery life.

Not how long it works between charges, but a Lithium Ion battery has a useful life and I want to know what it might cost to replace the battery when it ulimately fails. 

I would hate to have to trash my high dollar head phones for a twenty dollar battery.

Doctordun, quoting Tony_G

"The battery for the QC35 is not user replaceable, for questions regarding service and pricing contact your local Bose support by going HERE."

You can follow the link above and make a call or send an email to get the answer for you in your location.

Amazing.  You won't reveal the conversation but you suggest that the battery IS replaceable, which contradicts Jason_G's official Bose response.  Hmmm... 

Hi Socrates,
There's no contradiction here. 
I did NOT suggest that the battery is replaceable. 

I followed Tony_G's link and I was able to get an answer that applied to me in my location, in minutes. My suggestion to Doctordun was that he could do the same.

Strident Supporter

ST wrote:

Hi Socrates,
There's no contradiction here. 
I did NOT suggest that the battery is replaceable. 

I do not understand.  Were you told that Bose WILL replace the battery or were you told that Bose will NOT replace the battery?  You're being as cagey as Tony and Jason.

Strident Supporter

Well, what's going on?  Will Bose replace the battery or not?  If "yes," what's the price?

Quiet Contributor

Interesting. I made a response earlier today and it seems that it was not liked. It seems to have disappeared.

I basically said that no answer is kind of admitting that the battery is not replaceable under any circumstances.

Strident Supporter

doctordun wrote:

Interesting. I made a response earlier today and it seems that it was not liked. It seems to have disappeared.

I basically said that no answer is kind of admitting that the battery is not replaceable under any circumstances.

It would be kind of nice to get a real response instead of this evasion.

Strident Supporter

I found out why they're dancing around this question.  I called Bose Support and initially I got the same runaround:  "The battery is not replaced because it's rechargeable!"  After repeated questioning, the answer evolved to "If it's in warranty, there is no charge."  After more repeated questioning, I was told that the out-of-warranty battery replacement charge for the QC35 is US$259!!!

On top of that, the customer pays shipping in both directions, bringing the total cost for battery replacement to over $300 for a $350 item! WOW!

I'm beginning to regret purchasing the QC35.

Community Manager

The information you were provided on the phone is technically correct but I wanted to clarify a couple of points here. 

The price you were quoted ($259) is for a non-warranty replacement of the entire headset with a new one.  As you were correctly advised, battery replacement is not a service that is offered.  Note that the QC35 headphones carry a one year warranty from date of purchase in the United States and since the product was released in June 2016, all headsets should be still under this warranty.  

Note that warranty length and service option pricing can vary between regions and could potentially change in the future.

I've noticed that we haven't discussed the expected battery life for the headphones and I thought I probably should mention it.  After 500 full charging cycles, the expectation is that the battery will retain 80% of its original capacity.  Of course, this may vary from user to user but this is the anticipated lifespan of the battery. 

Doctordun - I have confirmed that none of your posts in this discussion have been removed.  It's possible that it never posted at all.  If you have any additional concerns about any posts that have been removed, feel free to send me a DM. 

Strident Supporter

Jason_G wrote:

The information you were provided on the phone is technically correct but I wanted to clarify a couple of points here. 

The price you were quoted ($259) is for a non-warranty replacement of the entire headset with a new one.  As you were correctly advised, battery replacement is not a service that is offered.  Note that the QC35 headphones carry a one year warranty from date of purchase in the United States and since the product was released in June 2016, all headsets should be still under this warranty.  

Note that warranty length and service option pricing can vary between regions and could potentially change in the future.

I've noticed that we haven't discussed the expected battery life for the headphones and I thought I probably should mention it.  After 500 full charging cycles, the expectation is that the battery will retain 80% of its original capacity.  Of course, this may vary from user to user but this is the anticipated lifespan of the battery. 

Doctordun - I have confirmed that none of your posts in this discussion have been removed.  It's possible that it never posted at all.  If you have any additional concerns about any posts that have been removed, feel free to send me a DM. 

It is an absolute fact that lithium batteries do not last forever.  They WILL die and the only thing that Bose can say is that we pay $259 plus two-way shipping to resolve the issue when it happens. This is not the Bose that I've known over the years.