QC30 unreliable with firmware 1.2.8

Highlighted
Silent Starter

QC30 unreliable with firmware 1.2.8

I've been happily using my QC30 headphones for several months until the firmware update (1.2.8) which installed yesterday.

Since then I have had music cutting/stuttering out when listening to my iPhone 7, and very unreliable connection with my Windows 7 Dell laptop (Intel Bluetooth), both of which worked absolutely fine until this update.  

The laptop issues were the worst - sometimes it would work but more often than not it would actually somehow crash my entire Bluetooth stack, causing my wireless mouse to disconnect as well. Attempting to reconnect the headphones would either do the same again or occasionally would work as desired.

Luckily I have been able to restore perfect operation by downgrading to firmware 1.1.9 using http://btu.bose.com/ and connecting the headphones via USB. By the way - that's a very nice utility so thank you for providing it.

Please look into the issues with firmware version 1.2.8.

16 REPLIES
Friendly Fanatic

Re: QC30 unreliable with firmware 1.2.8

I'm glad that you reported this and glad that downgrading the firmware helped. I'm assuming that Bose headphones use a good majority of the same code and it's starting to sound like this latest code that went out to enable the Sound Sharing broke more than it added. Not many people have reported about the QC30 firmware on the forums so I'm not sure if the issue of sound quality has affected other models.

Friendly Fanatic

I have just posted as I also noticed issues after the firmware upgrade. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi bose_user24,

I too have the QC30 (two of them). I recently updated my firmware to 1.2.8 and all is well.

For your issues with the Windows 7 Dell laptop, you might want to check if you can update your Bluetooth drivers. Here is a link to Intel Bluetooth drivers.

I'm not sure what to suggest for the iPhone. My QC30 is working fine with my iPad Pro 9.7.

If you decide to try firmware 1.2.8 again then you might want to try a reset of the QC30.

Reset

1. Turn the headset off and wait for at least 30 seconds.
  2. Plug the headset into a USB power supply via USB cord and wait at least 5 seconds. (Power supply needs to be plugged into the wall with power on).
  3. Unplug USB cord from the headset and wait 1 minute. Turn on the headset and test if the headset works properly.

Silent Starter

Hi, thanks for the reply

I am running the latest Bluetooth version supplied by Dell for my laptop model; I'm reluctant to try and mess with this since the current/latest version was made available just a few months ago, and resolved a long running conflict with a particular Windows Update package (FYI: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=K59N9&fileId=3582589585)

In troubleshooting this issue, I did already reset the list of device pairings; is this different to resetting the headphones completely? If so I am happy to give that a try.

However I may wait a while to see if Bose publish a new firmware version to address the QC35 issues - just in case this also has any affect on the QC30.

Thanks

Audible Advocate

Please, can you share process of downgrading. I have issue with 1.2.8 (I am not able to swith off) and downgrade woulb be good step to normal. Thanks a lot. Miro

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Miro,

Here are the instructions to initiate the firmware downgrade procedure:

1. Go to http://btu.bose.com on a PC or Mac computer
2. Plug your headset into the PC or Mac via USB
3. Click on the QC30 product
4. The update page will load and tell you the software is up to date
5. When on this screen type the following 5 keys sequentially: ‘a’ ‘d’ ‘v’ ‘<up arrow>’ ‘<down arrow>’.   The page will display the following:
6. Choose the previous version from the drop down menu, then click “apply changes”
7. The Firmware will begin to load.  This process may take between 5 and 10 minutes depending on ISP and network conditions.  Do not disconnect the headset until the process is complete.

Source: https://community.bose.com/t5/Wireless-Headphones/Audio-Quality-Concerns-Since-Bose-Connect-QC35-1-2...

ST

Audible Advocate

Thank you. Downgrad is done.

Regards

Miro

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Miro,

Thanks for letting us know that worked for you.

ST

Strident Supporter

New firmware 1.2.10 is available for the QC35.  Check for a similar firmware level with the QC30.