QC35 II audio stutters after disconnecting from second device.

SOLVED
Friendly Fanatic

QC35 II audio stutters after disconnecting from second device.

Hi,

I have noticed an issue with bluetooth connectivity on the QC35 II headphones. With two devices already set up, I turn my headphones on and they connect to my iPhone X and my iPad Pro 10.5; I start listening to music on my phone and as I leave the apartment the iPad eventually disconnects due to the increase in distance from the headphones. Turns out that a few seconds after the iPad disconnects, the audio stutters for a few seconds; it's clear that bluetooth connections aren't properly managed by the firmware and this needs to be addressed.

Upon seeing this problem (which has happened on repeated ocassions), I started the Bose Connect app on the phone, but the app never detects the headphones in spite of them still being connected to the phone and in use. I recorded a small video showing this, where the app does not detect the headphones but you can see the headphones connected icon in the upper right hand side of the screen.

Bose Connect app doesn't see connected QC35 II.

Bose, please fix this. It's pointless to have the ability to connect two devices to the headphones if bluetooth connectivity is affected after one of the devices disconnects.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Friendly Fanatic

Re: QC35 II audio stutters after disconnecting from second device.

After a few weeks of use, it seems like the firmware downgrade/upgrade (along with the supposed cache reset) fixed the issue. The sound gets cut off very seldom and not to the point it did.

I strongly suggest the Bose devs test the firmware upgrade process properly, and the handling of the cache as it seems to leave garbase files that eventually cause this issue on these headphones.

I'll report back on this thread should the issue appear again.

17 REPLIES
Friendly Fanatic

Additional info:

Last night, I added my iPad as a second bluetooth device and used it for a little while.

This morning, I left the apartment and turned the headphones on while walking down the stairs on the second floor (I live in a 4-floor apartment building) and waited for like 20 seconds for the headphones to connect to no avail. Turned them off and back on and it took them like 30+ seconds to connect. After this, I removed my iPad from the list of devices so that the headphones look only for my phone. Turned them off and back on and they connected in like 1-2 seconds.

It would be nice to see a moderator make a comment about this and that they're reporting it to the dev team. I posted this five days ago and no feedback has been given.

Hello cesarv, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here, sorry we missed this. I will perform some tests here to see if I can replicate this, but I have a few questions to make sure we covered everything. 

Have you tried resetting the headset? Let's try that to see if that helps with the audio stuttering, and with the connectivity issues, you had mentioned. 

To reset your headset:

1. Turn the headset off and wait for 30 seconds. 

2. Plug the headset into a USB power supply via USB cord and wait 5 seconds. (Power supply needs to be plugged into the wall with power on). 

3. Unplug USB cord from headset and wait 1 minute.

4. Turn on the headset and test if the headset works properly.

The QC35 II wireless headphones are designed to connect to the two of your most recent Bluetooth devices when they are in range(within 30 feet) and ready to pair. 

In regards to the app detection issue, does this happen with your iPad as well? 

Let me know your findings when you get that chance. 

Thank you again,

Mohsin - Community Support

Friendly Fanatic

Hello Mohsin_S,

I have just reset the headset, but I will be able to test this until tomorrow morning (right now, it's 10 pm where I live).

I have also updated the firmware via the Mac Bose Updater app. It's important to note that this app reported a firmware update was available, but the firmware version on my headset already is 2.5.1, so it makes no sense. I proceeded with this update anyway cause it may be possible the update provided via the phone app isn't in some way complete. Again: this makes absolutely no sense cause it's the very same version I already had on my headphones.

I doubt this will solve the issue but I will report the results I get in the following days.

Regards

EDIT: added "firmware" to "update" to make it clearer.

Friendly Fanatic

By the way, regarding...

"The QC35 II wireless headphones are designed to connect to the two of your most recent Bluetooth devices when they are in range(within 30 feet) and ready to pair."

Keep in mind the issue I found is not about connecting two devices to my headphones; I am able to do this. The problem is about the headphones' bluetooth connectivity issue with the first device after losing its connection with the second device due to this getting out of range. Losing the connection to the second device due to increasing distance shouldn't affect the first device's connectivity.

Regards

Vocal Volunteer

About your update issue. Updating the firmware by app bose is a mistake, as it does not do a full update. Only by computer!
Thanks,
Marcel M.
Friendly Fanatic

Not updating the app, but updating the headphones firmware via the app. Updating the app has no impact on the headphones firmware.

Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer

sorry corrected. ('Upgrade firmware by app.') But in Bose's own program it says: Only the Bose PC does a complete upgrade
Thanks,
Marcel M.
Friendly Fanatic

You mean the Bose Connect app? Where does it say that? I haven't come across this.

Thanks.

Vocal Volunteer

Tried Downgrade?
Thanks,
Marcel M.