Soundlink Around Ear 2 wireless AAC support

Audible Advocate

Re: Soundlink Around Ear 2 wireless AAC support

Can you point to a tutorial or other documentation that shows how to accomplish this? I've not yet found a single person who was able to get their Soundlink AE2 headphones to use the aac codec. I've found, however, plenty of forum posts about not being able to use the codec. 

Thanks. 

@cphilli5 Hello, thank you for writing in. We can confirm that these headphones do support AAC and due to the multiple types of source devices out there, we do not have anything specific that will instruct you on your specific device. I'd like to throw it out the community and ask to share their input as many users could be using similar devices. This would be appreciated.

Thank you again,

Mohsin

Quiet Contributor

Hello.

I am also very dissapointed with these Bose soundlink ae2 headphones.

Impossible to activate AAC codec on 3 different Mac, on my iPad Pro and my iPhone 7.

It's always using SBC protocol and the sound quality is really crap (compared to jack connection).

I have never seen someone able to connect these headphones in AAC 

It's suprisingly bad for an high end (and high cost) device.

I think AAC support has never worked on this device.

I have tried with another Beats headphone and it connects in AAC on my Macs and my iPad/iPhone ...

Audible Advocate

I gotta say, it's a little strange that the manufacturer of a device tells the users that they're one their own in figuring out how to use a supposedly supported feature--especially on a help forum hosted by the manufacturer.

As far as I, and many other users can tell, AAC is NOT supported by these headphones. Checking them against the same devices, other headphones will connect via AAC, but not these. There are many examples in this thread. Personally, I can confirm that these headphones do not support AAC with the Pixel 2, Nexus 6P, and a generic CSR 4.0 bluetooth dongle. 

II have to conclude that for the majority of devices out there, these headphones do not support AAC. Maybe there's a device out there that will work with them, but certainly not enough to claim that the devices support it. 

Quiet Contributor

After checking the headphone BT capabilities, I confirm that this headset DOES NOT support AAC. It's only providing SBC support !

It's unbelieveable that an high end (and high cost) device like this only works in low quality BT connection.

Bose support ignores that ...

If you want AAC, you must buy a QC35 ...

Audible Advocate

Interestingly, if I search the Q&A's on Amazon's Soundlink AE2's product page, there's the following answer, apparantly from Bose themselves:

Q: Apple aac support, and aptx support on the soundlink2s ? i need both!
A: These codexes are proprietary to other companies and are not supported by our headphones. We encourage you to try them for yourself and make your judgment based on the sound. Thanks for asking and have a great day. Best Regards, - Emmet Bose Support
By Bose on June 14, 2018

So, Bose, which is it? Bluetooth AAC codec or not?

Quiet Contributor

I can confirm AAC and APTX are NOT supported by AE2

AAC is supported by QC35, so it's just a Bose choice (and not a closed standard problem) to limit the AE2 to SBC

Hello rbarthomeuf,

I can confirm for you that the SoundLink Around Ear II wireless headphones do support AAC, but not AptX. As to the "why" of people here reporting that their source devices are not using AAC, I do not have an answer. I can state conclusively that we in no way limit the SoundLink AE2 wireless to the SBC codec. 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

I confirm, and Bose support confirm the AE2 DOES NOT support AAC.

Every one can notice it when connecting to a Mac and check BT settings.

You also have some tools that can browse BT devices to check their connection settings.

AE2 does not support AAC

QC35 does support AAC

Audible Advocate

Hi Greg,

You and the others all say that it does support AAC. However, we still haven't seen a single example of a device with which it will connect using AAC. We have, however, seen plenty of devices that will connect to QC35 headphones via AAC, but not the AE2. 

So, saying that it does support AAC is not very useful to the consumers who are all unable to use it.

None of us actually care that whether it officially supports AAC officially or not. What we really want is to find out how to use this feature. Please help us.