Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pilou42
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 19, 2017

Re: Bose QC 35 II firmware 2.5.1 ANC is terrible

Wow I just discovered this thread.

I did the update and dit NOT hear differences. I had the QC1 then QC2, it's been more than 1 year with them so it's not like if I don't know them. And I'm quite sure there are no differences after update.

I don't know, maybe I've been lucky, maybe it's just your ears who get used to ANC and want more (I know you won't believe me but it's not impossible).

FWIW, I've been in those who complained about infamous 1.2.10 QC1 update (which resulted in poor ANC IMO), but this time I'm not affected (or I did not notice it yet).

PS: I've recently reinstalled my phone, resetted QC35 (reboot procedure), cleared associations (10 sec button). Don't know if it can help.

Uklee
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 31, 2018

There is definitely a change. I'm a new user and before the update when you cycled between the 3 ANC levels there was a definite change at each level. Now the medium and high sound exactly the same. And used to be so quiet on high. Like wearing a good set of ear defenders.

Lee
quicksil7er
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 30, 2018

So, you think that we are all victims of some auditory hallucination here. I have a doubt about this. Wait and see for a quick explanation from Bose. I belive, they are serious guys who care about their customers.

For me the main strength of this headset was a very good ANC, without it: no reason to keep it (especially at this price). I have still my QC25 working pretty well.

Raph

Antischall
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 31, 2018

Yesterday i maked also this update. 😞
First moment i felt like the ANC is much more comfortable, because it works quieter in background. But after minutes i noticed a hissing sound, and clearly is gone when ANC is off. Then back to high and the hissing sound is back. The ANC is not more strong yet. Why say Bose they didn't change anything? That's not true you can clearly perceive differents.
volkerb
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

it upgraded my QC35 from 1.3.6 to 1.5.1 and now i notice the lacking ANC. i am not sure if there were any other versions in between or if any of them did the major change. is there is version changelog of firmware releases? 

fact is, voices are far less cancelled than before which is annoying as hell in an office, the premium silence the QC35 gave me was the deciding moment to buy them.

colbertcz
Participant
Registered since

Mar 28, 2018

tldr: +1; The ANC got worse.

Details about the issue (personal experience):
I have updated from the previous firmware version (2.5.0), where the ANC was 'normal', as in functioning great. Now after the 2.5.1 update I can hear much more sounds around, though the ambient ANC is still working pretty well.
Sounds that are still pretty well ANC'd - longer or continuous sounds like cars driving by (with closed windows), computer fans running, sound echoes.
Sounds that got more audible = worse, after 2.5.1 - sudden sounds and sounds with higher pitch, keyboard strokes, running tap water, sounds from plastic materials (read potato chips). 

What has not changed:
Background noise levels while using ANC. I don't mind it, much, but the hiss levels of both ANC profiles are the same now.
Sound quality while using ANC compared to the sound quality while the ANC is off. (Which is usual with ANC headphones)
Sound distortion while the ANC is on - but this is debatable.

Context:
I have bought and returned four different heaphones with the aim to find the best ones. Starting with Bose QC35II, then Sony Hi-Res WH-1000XM, then Bower&Wilkins PX and the first version - Bose QC35. I have returned to the first headphones = QC35II (a month ago), because of their amazing ANC and comfortability during use (sweet sweet ear cushions, man). After the upgrade, the ANC is worse than both the Bowers, Sony and the first version of QC35.

Does someone have a screenshot of the 2.5.1 update screen?
If you've downgraded - to which version, and why?

The official changelog of 2.5.1 is:
  • Resolves an issue where the charging LEDs didn’t behave correctly post firmware version 2.2.1
  • Resolves an issue where the power down tones could be heard at random times
  • Improves pairing with the Bose Connect app
  • Resolves an issue where the headset could ignore the auto-off timer in the connect app
Bellyup
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 8, 2017

Yes. Agree with this analysis.

To me, what they did is quite clear : they changed the frequency range of anc application, reducing its impact on higher frequencies.
The anc on low frequencies remained the same in my opinion, but on higher pitch noises the efficiency is zero now.

I am sure about this as I have been comparing my QC35 and now QC35II to my QC20.

Now when you activate anc you clearly have the feeling that the outside noise is converted to a higher pitch noise instead of being canceled.

The question is : why did they do this and why don’t they answer and recognize it.
It is obvious that they are ignoring us on purpose.
Bellyup
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 8, 2017

And as others have proposed, why could not they add a fourth anc level (e.g super) with former performance ?
Maybe they just wait for the release of QC35II’s successors...
If this is the case, again, shame on them.
relkma
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 31, 2018

Unfortunately I also updated 2 days ago before finding this thread.. it is a clearly noticeable issue. Bose, please acknowledge this & get us an update! Most of us specifically chose this product because of the superior anc..
magictom1
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 31, 2018

Just signed up to these forums to report same issue here. Seems like the people reporting higher frequency noises are being blocked less now may be onto something.

Also shocked that Bose hasn’t said anything yet. At the very least an acknowledgment and a “we are looking into it” statement would be appreciated.

At least I’m now trained to avoid all updates in the future before checking here...