Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carey
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 9, 2020

Programming universal remote to work with Samsung TV

I have a Bose Solo 5 soundbar attached to a Samsung TV (model# UN50NU7100F). I've been completely unsuccessful programming the remote to work with the TV. I can get a few functions working, but not all of them, and not the most important ones like changing channels.

I've read the instructions, I've watched the videos, I made sure the sound bar isn't blocking the IR receiver, I've reset the sound bar, and I've reset the remote. I'm confident I'm doing everything right. I've gone through all the Samsung codes using the volume + button numerous times but not a single one of them works. 

Other than returning the sound bar for a refund, what else can I do? It's insane that the remote can't control a mainstream product like a 2018 Samsung TV.

16 REPLIES 16
Vicky_W

Re: Programming universal remote to work with Samsung TV

Hello Carey, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

Resetting both items was a great start. I would just like to confirm, when you say you reset your remote, was that using the steps here: 

1. On the remote control, press and hold a Source button (i.e., TV or CBL-SAT) until all six source buttons glow, then release the button: The button that was held remains glowing.
  2. On the number keypad, enter 981. The source buttons flash to confirm.

If you have done this, there are a few more things we can try. 

• In the TV settings menu, turn off any light detection, light effect or energy-saving features. Some TVs can automatically adjust screen brightness and contrast depending on the ambient feature that measures the ambient light in your room. Open the TV menu, look for these options and disable them if available. Then, try again.
  • Try the remote that came with the device you are trying to control. Check if the original remote control for the device can control it. If it cannot, there may be an issue with the device.
  • Reset the connected audio or video device. Electronics may need to be reset from time to time—much like rebooting a computer. Disconnect power from the device for 30 seconds, then wait for it to start up. 

I look forward to hearing how you get on. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Carey
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 9, 2020

Yes, I reset the remote using the 981 code. 

The TV works fine with its own controller and with a universal remote that was provided by Comcast. 

I have reset everything with a power off sequence. 

So it looks like I'm probably just out of luck and the Bose remote doesn't know how to talk to that model of TV. I find that surprising since it's a major brand and only a one year old model, but that's the complete mess that the consumer electronics industry has created with remote controls.

Keith_L
Community Manager

Hi Carey,

Thank you for trying those steps and letting us know. I'm sorry to hear you are still having trouble.

There are a couple more steps you can try to see whether this is an issue with the codes or the remote itself. 

Do you have any other devices or TVs we could try programming the remote to control? As you mention a Comcast universal remote, do you have a cable box we could try programming the Bose remote to control? If you are unable to control other devices with the remote, it may be that the remote is not functioning correctly rather than a compatibility issue with your TV.

Another test we can do to make sure the remote is working correctly when programmed is by checking for an IR signal. You can use the front-facing camera on most smartphones and tablets to do this. You would just need to point the remote at the front-facing camera and press buttons on the remote.

If it is working correctly, you should see a light from the end of the remote through the camera. It's always worth checking any buttons you know are working correctly first, in case your camera has an IR filter on it, as if it does, the phone will not show the IR light for us on the screen.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Claubsv
Participant
Registered since

Jan 19, 2020

I have exactly the same problem I just  did everything ultimately checking IR signal using the front-facing camera and still not working, apparently the control is working properly but still not able to programming to my UN43RU7200 (2019 Model) Samsung TV so there’s something else that I can do? Or should I return it?

jsmaier18
Participant
Registered since

Jan 19, 2020

Re: Programming universal remote to work with Samsung TV and Cable Box from FIOS One

I just bought a Lifestyle 650 and have the same problem with the remote control.  I have reset the remote and tried troubleshooting with Bose support.  They finally sent me a new remote and I am having the same issues.  I cannot pair it to my Cable Box to change channels by inputting numbers, I can change by using the channel up/down rocker......this seems insane that I can't enter a specific channel number.  Also I cannot pair it to my Samsung TV to tun it off and  on.  Bose said they would contact the engineers to do some additional coding.  I had a Lifestyle 535 and the Bose remote paired fine with both the same Cable Box and also shut off the TV.  What should I do now?  I have to use three remotes......my Samsung to turn off and on the TV, my cable box control from FIOS to enter a specific Channel number ......and the Bose remote to power up the system and select between my sources.........I am getting very frustrated!!!!!

jsmaier18
Participant
Registered since

Jan 19, 2020

I just realized that the Lifestyle 650 remote does not have an IR immeter to power off the Samsung TV like the lifestyle 535 did.  How can you control any TV to turn it off or on with the new Lifestyle 650 remote????

Keith_L
Community Manager

Hi All, 

Thank you for posting and contributing to the discussion.

@Claubsv, have you tried the troubleshooting suggested by @Vicky_W earlier in the post? If not, it would definitely be worth following those steps to resolve this.  

If you have already, are you able to get control of any functions on your TV? Or is it just certain functions that are not working?

@jsmaier18, One thing to bear in mind when using the Lifestyle 650 with the universal remote, is the remote does not control your devices directly. The remote sends the signal to the console which then controls your devices with an in-built IR blaster, or HDMI-CEC controls. It sounds like the cable box is currently being controlled by CEC rather than the IR codes, as this would explain the limited control you currently have.

The IR emitter is located on the left-hand side of the console, so we would need a direct line of sight from there to the IR receiver on your TV and console for this to work correctly.  One way to get this line of sight is by moving the console's location slightly to see if we can get the IR blaster and receiver to line up and then test the remote from there.

If we are unable to achieve this in your setup we can use external IR emitters, that will have been included with the lifestyle, to allow the IR signal to reach locations it may not be able to reach directly. You can find instructions for this HERE. (While the instructions on the page linked are for an older console, the Lifestyle 650 is set up in exactly the same way for this.

Let me know how you both get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L 

Carey
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 9, 2020

I gave up trying to get the Bose universal remote working. I think it simply doesn't know how to communicate with my model of TV (or the cable box either). No codes I ever tried got more than partial functionality, and it should have been apparent from my first post that it wasn't an issue of the remote not working. 

What I did finally succeed in doing is getting my Comcast universal remote to control the Bose sound bar. But I have to say it wasn't easy finding the codes for the sound bar, and I didn't find them on bose.com. I had to go elsewhere. 

I really don't understand how the industry has made remotes such a complex mess and why almost every single manufacturer refuses to document the codes needed to control their device. That information should be on the label on the device.

Claubsv
Participant
Registered since

Jan 19, 2020

Nothing works I tried everything, I’m ready to give up, it’s just insane have 3  remotes for a TV the only thing that I can use the Bose “universal remote” is to adjust the volume and the features of the speaker nothing else I’m not able to change channels or turn on/off the tv apparently the problem is the code I wondering if you guys are working to fixing this problem because apparently the problem is yours and the codes.