Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phmorrow123
Participant
Registered since

May 23, 2021

Speakers but no system

• The previous owner of my home left 4 bose cube speakers on wall with wiring in the wall. Would like to find out what system they are compatible with, so I can buy second hand components

16218029218523980372790099111906.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Speakers but no system

They will probably work with just about any Bose Acoustimass speaker system that can handle 4 or more speakers.  You'll need a Bose Acoustimass module and 3rd party after market receiver or you could look for a Bose music system that includes a console.  You'll probably need another speaker for a front center channel.

eBay usually has lots of used Bose stuff.

phmorrow123
Participant
Registered since

May 23, 2021

I primarily want to use them for music, not TV. Any suggestions for what kind of system works with acoustimass, where I can connect my phone by bluetooth and stream music through these speakers?

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@phmorrow123 wrote:

The previous owner of my home left 4 bose cube speakers on wall with wiring in the wall. Would like to find out what system they are compatible with, so I can buy second hand components

@Xyz987 wrote:

They will probably work with just about any Bose Acoustimass speaker system that can handle 4 or more speakers.  You'll need a Bose Acoustimass module and 3rd party after market receiver or you could look for a Bose music system that includes a console.  You'll probably need another speaker for a front center channel.

eBay usually has lots of used Bose stuff.

This question comes up every once and a while. You can see some answers in this post from last month to help you. Just know that you have single cube speakers, so you will have to go for either an Acoustimass 6 III subwoofer or a lifestyle system if you do not have the subwoofer. The Acoustimass 6 II subwoofer would also work, but it is a passive subwoofer and would not have the same sound quality.

Also as Xyz987 astutely pointed out, you will need to purchase another single cube speaker if that is also missing and you want all 5 speakers to be the same and to go through the subwoofer. 

@phmorrow123 wrote:

I primarily want to use them for music, not TV. Any suggestions for what kind of system works with acoustimass, where I can connect my phone by bluetooth and stream music through these speakers?

These speakers are not self-powered and neither is the subwoofer. You will need to connect it to either a Receiver if you go for an Acoustimass 6 III subwoofer from eBay or a Lifestyle receiver system.

Bose did make CD-based receivers back in the 90's (so no built-in Bluetooth). They were not really designed for the TV but will work with your single cube speakers. What you would be recreating would be the Lifestyle 8 II. The link I shared should help you see the model names of the subwoofer and receiver you would have to find.

Personally, I would use the speakers with my TV and either purchase the Bose Acoustimass 6 III subwoofer & a good 3rd party receiver, or I would purchase a Bose AV35 receiver and a Bose LSPS III subwoofer.

But no matter which direction you go, be it purchasing a 20-year-old Lifestyle CD/Radio receiver and subwoofer or purchasing a brand new 3rd party receiver with an Acoustimass 6 III subwoofer designed to work with your speakers. You will need to purchase a subwoofer and a receiver to produce sound from those speakers.

phmorrow123
Participant
Registered since

May 23, 2021

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll look into these options.

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@phmorrow123 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll look into these options.

Glad to help 🙂

Any chance you can share a photo of the wires where the subwoofer or receiver should be? I will help us know if it was wired for a powered Bose subwoofer or for a passive one.

Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I would probably take those down and sell them on eBay.  Buy a new proper system to play music.

phmorrow123
Participant
Registered since

May 23, 2021

Wires are in the wall and go to one (or both?) of the plugs pictured

Screenshot_20210523-221416_Photos.jpg

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@phmorrow123 wrote:

Wires are in the wall and go to one (or both?) of the plugs pictured 

Ok, the one on the right is the "Speaker wire adapter kit" and the one on the left is a standard speaker wall plate you can find at Home Depot or other places like that.

So there is no way to tell if it was a Lifestyle or an Acoustimass system there before as you could have had a receiver powered the other rooms of sound or you could have the lifestyle system next to a couple of Bose amps to do the same. 

The only thing for sure is you will either need to find the "Speaker wire adapter kit" cable to connect the main speakers to the subwoofer or you will have to purchase one.