Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ken-at-Bose
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 13, 2003

HOW TO PLAY BETTER VIDEO AVAILABLE NOW

Hi Folks,

At the Fall L1™ Conference held in October of 2006, we invited Joe Cocker and The Linemen music director Cliff Goodwin to join us for a discussion.

The premise was:
  • Now that we can hear better...

• How can we play better.

We've received many positive comments from the session and many have asked for the video to be made available.

We've now completed the work.

There is an introduction and 14 chapters, each a few minutes long.

The videos are located on the wiki.

We are very interested in hearing your comments on these videos and ask that you do so by replying to this discussion thread. Please use the chapter number if appropriate in your responses.

With best regards,

Ken

[ken added ellipsis after first bullet]
19 REPLIES 19
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: HOW TO PLAY BETTER VIDEO AVAILABLE NOW

Ken,

Thank you for making this available for us.

To all:

I was present when this was recorded. Cliff's ideas have been a part of my every show and rehearsal since then.

Let me recommend these to you, and suggest that you invite your band and ensemble mates to view these too. Watch them and you will understand why.
holliwil
Participant
Registered since

Apr 12, 2004

Ken,
These are priceless. I remember the interview from Ashland, but hearing it all again really brings music from a performance standpoint into focus. It's all about making better live performances.

ST, I will be sharing these with my bandmates.
DrumrPete
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

yes, wonderful stuff...thanks so much Ken!
MNunley
Participant
Registered since

Oct 21, 2004

I'm sending the link to several of my friends in bands... such a great presentaion of simple truths here.

Thanks for posting this stuff !

FocusPlayer
aka- Michael Nunley
daktari
Registered since

Oct 28, 2005

Good morning to everyone.

Well, I've finally found time to start to view the videos and so far I've just seen the first two. Wow! - Cliff Goodwin nails it! He says in a few short minutes what most of us have experienced as we have got to know and love this sound system.

The one part that really hit home to me was when he started talking about the sound of guitar picks on strings. Honestly. since getting to know the Bose system, my picks have literally become an instrument in themselves.

As I've mentioned several times before, I love to play one-man reggae using a Boss looper. A big part of achieving a convincing reggae sound is the percussion. Not always the drums cos I don't have them but the detailed scratchy, shimmery percussion which hopefully just adds magic to the fininshed piece. You guessed it, this is where the guitar pick comes in. I generally use a very soft, thin pick and when used sideways on the bottom strings create excellent percussion sounds. Course I have re-programmed into my Digitech pedal guitar voices which as guitar sounds are awful sounding but are used specifically just to create these percussion details.

Just like Cliff said, it is only worth doing this now because the Bose L1 is just like a mirror and it sends out in great clarity exactly what you put in. I have tried the same thing through my Carvin PA and it just lacks something, in fact without the detail it starts to sound like a mistake and therfore it's better not to bother.

Anyways, I'd better be getting some breakfast and I look forward to viewing the remaining videos. All the best, Gordon. Thanks Chris.
captacoustic
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2003

Gordon, that's great: your music through one system sounds like a mistake and through the L1 becomes a mirror. Please check your private topics, I sent you one.

Wayne
daktari
Registered since

Oct 28, 2005

Hi Wayne,

Forgive me for being a computer illiterate but how do I view a private topic?

It was just the scratchy pick sound that sounded like a mistake and hopefully not the whole music. Ha, ha.....

Then again, I guess that depends on if you like reggae style or not.

I look forward to reading your mail as soon as I can find it, thanks. Gordon.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

quote:
Forgive me for being a computer illiterate but how do I view a private topic?

Hi Gordon

click on your name DAKTARI

click view public profile

when you get there click Private Messaging
daktari
Registered since

Oct 28, 2005

Thanks ST,

I managed to stumble onto the private message thing eventually but thanks for the pointer. Sorry to have got this into this thread, - they can be deleted if that would keep it tidier.

Thanks, Gordon.