Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScubaBadger
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

Reverb and effects on T4S

I hate my T1 with the “All channels” reverb setting meaning I can’t have different settings on different mics.

I note the sales specs on the T4S state “Independent ToneMatch, EQ, dynamics and effects per channel”

The very next statement was “Dedicated reverb on Aux 1 send, and a global shared reverb for use across all channels”.

Does this mean what it says, no deviation from the T1 and I can’t set “Large” for mic 1 and “Cavern” for mic 2?

If that is the case then “Global reverb” type is not what I want, I still need to buy a pedal for mic 2.

That’s real nauseating, as it means extra wires and a box on the floor.

While I’m here, I sang on a friends new TurboSound IP2000 line array last week. Didn’t sound that much different from a Bose after tweaking and it had TWO Bluetooth feeds, one for a mixer controller app and one for music streaming. 

On 4 shows it performed perfectly with no wires the my iPad on stage.

As the new S1 Pro has Bluetooth I feel strongly that an opportunity to build it into the T4S & T8S was overlooked or worse still rejected and its a really poor decision on the part of Bose. I almost went out and bought TWO TurboSound stacks to then sell my L1.

With the new T4S and ability to feed TWO L1”s digitally I have a tough decision to make.

Very disappointed the mess we’ve arrived at when it all could have been a major leap forward instead of a minor shuffle.

4 REPLIES 4
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Reverb and effects on T4S

Hi ScubaBadger,

ScubaBadger posted:

I hate my T1 with the “All channels” reverb setting meaning I can’t have different settings on different mics.

I note the sales specs on the T4S state “Independent ToneMatch, EQ, dynamics and effects per channel”

The very next statement was “Dedicated reverb on Aux 1 send, and a global shared reverb for use across all channels”.

Does this mean what it says, no deviation from the T1 and I can’t set “Large” for mic 1 and “Cavern” for mic 2?

I'm sorry, you can't have different reverb types on different channels. 

ST

ScubaBadger
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

So, picture this....

To have 4 different levels / types of reverb on all four channels of the new T4S it's simply a matter of running four BOSS vocal effect pedals at the base of the mic stand, running each mic cable into each pedal and then up to the T4S, plus of course an extra power wart and supply cable for each pedal.

That's going to look stonking on a stage, all those cables, gadgets etc...

Whereas - 1 xc T4S with variable reverb types = 1 x T4S on the mic stand..

There's the pretty and the ugly of it and I'm sorry but the terminology used in marketing the product is not the best - in fact it induces the thought there is independent FX for each channel when there are not - there is one effect with variances of level for each channel.

I'll end up buying a T4S - but with heavy heart as I feel it is a mediocre improvement with some of the basics looked after and opportunities missed.

ScubaBadger
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

Just received my T4S and despite previous discussion here the effects settings are "ALL" and not independent YET on this Bose product page: https://www.bose.com/en_us/pro...tml#ProductTabs_tab4 it clearly states "

Under the drop down question:

Can you assign multiple effects to any or all channels?

Yes. The user may run multiple effects on one channel while simultaneously running a set of completely different effects on each of the other channels. Each effect type has designated user-adjustable parameters, which also may vary from channel to channel."

From what I am seeing and experiencing unless someone can prove otherwise the statement "Yes. The user may run multiple effects on one channel while simultaneously running a set of completely different effects on each of the other channels" is utterly incorrect - as all channels are affect by the choice of "reverb type" on the master selector switch with no ability to change reverb per channel or stack effects per channel.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi ScubaBadger,

On the page you noted, in the bullet point above the text you quoted you will find the following Question and Answer.

I have highlighted in blue, the relevant description of how Reverb works in the T4S/T8S mixers.

Yes. Below is a list of effects that users may independently assign/adjust for any or all channels. The user also enjoys discrete control over designated parameters for each respective channel.

Effects

Modulation

Chorus 1: Brite - Shimmering chorus that works well with acoustic instruments. Includes adjustable mix, depth and speed parameters.

Chorus 2: Warm - Like Chorus 1 but with slightly less high frequencies. Includes adjustable mix, depth and speed parameters and works well with electric guitars and basses.

Chorus 3: Dark - Like Chorus 2 but with less high frequencies for a darker tone. Includes adjustable mix, depth and speed parameters, and works well with electric guitars and basses.

Flanger 1: Tape - Tape-style flanger with no feedback. Includes adjustable mix, depth and speed parameters, and works well with electric guitars and basses.

Flanger 2: Feedback - Same as Flanger 1 but with preset Feedback effect.

Phaser 1: Stomp - Classic “stomp box”-style phaser. Features a preset wide speed with variable speed and feedback parameters, and works well with electric guitars/basses and keyboards.

Phaser 2: Rack - Classic “rack”-style phaser. Features a positive mix type with variable speed and feedback parameters, and works well on electric guitars/basses and keyboards.

Phaser 3: Warm - Vintage-style phaser. Features a positive mix type with variable speed and feedback parameters, and works well as an effect on electric guitars/basses and keyboards.

Phaser 4: Bright - Phaser with no bass. Features a positive mix type with variable speed and feedback parameters that works well on electric guitars and keyboards.

Tremolo - Vintage-style tremolo effect with variable speed and depth parameters that works well as an effect on guitars and keyboards.

Delay

Choose from analog, digital or tape delay. Independently assign/adjust the delay settings for desired channels with discrete control over the mix and feedback time parameters for each channel. For example, the user may select a tape delay for the vocal on Channel 1 while selecting an analog delay for the guitar on Channel 2. Set your delay time with the center knob or use the tap tempo feature by pressing the center knob at desired tempo.

Digital delay - Digital delay effect where the repeats remain uncolored. Features adjustable mix, time, and feedback parameters, and may be used on guitars, drums or vocals.

Analog delay - Classic analog delay effect, where the repeats continuously deteriorate. Features adjustable mix, time and feedback parameters, and may be used with guitars, drums or vocals.

Tape delay - Vintage-style tape delay effect, where the repeats deteriorate even more than analog delay, and may be used with guitars, horns, harmonica or vocals.

Reverb

The T4S/T8S allows access to a global reverb type that may be applied to both the master output and Aux outputs, or you can select separate reverb types for the master outputs and Aux outputs. The reverb types are plate, small, medium, large and cavern. Control delay time and level of reverb signal sent through master output. Please keep in mind that once you select a global reverb type to be used among any or all channels, you may control the mix and brightness of each channel. However, the type of reverb may only be altered for all channels. This is achieved through adjusting the Reverb Type mixer mode.

Plate - Creates the ambience of a typical studio plate reverb. Features adjustable time and balance (ratio of early/later reflections) parameters and may be used with guitar, horns, percussion instruments and vocals.

Small - Creates the ambience of a small-sized space. Features adjustable time and balance (ratio of early/later reflections) parameters and may be used with guitar, horns, percussion instruments and vocals.

Medium - Creates the ambience of a medium-sized space. Features adjustable time and balance (ratio of early/later reflections) parameters and may be used with guitar, horns, percussion instruments and vocals.

Large - Creates the ambience of a large-sized space. Features adjustable time and balance (ratio of early/later reflections) parameters, and may be used with guitar, horns, percussion instruments and vocals.

Cavern - Creates the ambience of an extremely large space. Features adjustable time and balance (ratio of early/later reflections) parameters, and may be used with guitar, horns, percussion instruments and vocals.

Dynamics processing

Compressor 1: Light - Compressor featuring a preset low compression ratio with variable threshold and gain parameters. May be used as a general-purpose compression for most instruments and microphones that require minimal level control.

Compressor 2: Medium - Compressor featuring a preset moderate compression ratio with variable threshold and gain parameters and may be used with basses, guitars, keyboards, vocals or other instruments requiring subtle level control.

Compressor 3: Heavy - Compressor featuring a preset high compression ratio with variable threshold and gain parameters and may be used with loud instruments such as horns and drums, vocals or other instruments that require more aggressive level control.

Noise gate - Adjustable threshold and speed independently assignable for each channel. Controls extraneous noise from open microphones or hot instrument pickups from being introduced into the system.

Limiter - User-adjustable threshold and gain settings are independently assignable for each channel. Prevents input signals from overloading, helping to maintain consistent gain staging.

De-esser - User-adjustable threshold and gain settings are independently assignable for each channel. Compression useful in reducing high-end frequencies associated with vocal sibilant sounds.

Kick Gate - The Kick Gate is a Bose proprietary technology that allows you to drive your kick
drum to loud levels while avoiding microphone feedback. How to use the Kick Gate technology:

1. Connect an appropriate microphone. It is imperative that you gain stage the microphone correctly. Your hardest kick hits should put the LED clip meter solidly in the yellow, just shy of the red.
  2. Activate the kick gate. Use the default settings initially. Turn the volume of the system up to desired performance level.
  3. Play the softest that you will play in the performance. You should clearly hear these kick hits.
  4. Playing softly, raise the threshold knob until you hear some of your kick hits get cut off. Back the threshold down 3dB from this point.
  5. Play the kick drum as you normally would. Reduce “tightness” to add more boom to your sound.
  6. Enjoy your kick drum!