Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

S1 Pro Aux Input for Guitar??

If you have two microphones and you want to connect a guitar too - here's something to try.

ST

6 REPLIES 6
CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Re: S1 Pro Aux Input for Guitar??

Interesting idea @ST thanks for sharing. 

oldmachead
Advisor
Registered since

Mar 29, 2010

ST posted:

If you have two microphones and you want to connect a guitar too - here's something to try.

ST

Thanks @ST. As always, you are a font of wisdom ...

In the article linked, the first photo is of a mono cable (1/4" to 1/8"). The second photo looks like a standard RCA jack to a 1/8" jack ... but is that stereo? The photo is not very clear so I want to be sure of what will work.

It is a very interesting option to add a guitar input (my Godin A6 has two 1/4" outputs and the suggested connection is to have both plugged in simultaneously - which I didn't know was possible on my S1 since one channel is used by a mic). That's why I'm so intrigued by this option ...

Thanks for all the advice and help. Always appreciated.

Cheers,

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Troubador,

The second picture is a 1/8 inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve plug to two RCA plugs.

You can probably use that with a couple of RCA to 1/4 Male adapters and connect to both outputs on your Godin A6.

Please let us know how that works for you.

Thanks,

ST

oldmachead
Advisor
Registered since

Mar 29, 2010

ST posted:

Hi Troubador,

You can probably use that with a couple of RCA to 1/4 Male adapters and connect to both outputs on your Godin A6.

Please let us know how that works for you.

Thanks,

ST

Now THAT is something that didn't occur to me ... using both guitar outputs to twin RCA jacks into one stereo jack which goes into the S1 Aux port ... how interesting. As soon as the house painting project is over, I'll try this out and report back.

Thanks very much, @ST

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Troubador,

I just found this in the Godin A6 Ultra Owners Manual.

Having read that, I don't expect a lot of benefit to using both outputs going to the same amplifier (the S1 Pro).  But please tell us what you hear and what you think of the result.

Thanks,

ST

oldmachead
Advisor
Registered since

Mar 29, 2010

ST posted:

Hi Troubador,

Having read that, I don't expect a lot of benefit to using both outputs going to the same amplifier (the S1 Pro).  But please tell us what you hear and what you think of the result.

Thanks,

ST

@ST - A few minutes ago (I hadn't seen your message above) I went digging into a box where I keep my cables. Lo and behold, I found a cable that I acquired eons ago - twin 1/4" TS to a stereo 1/8" jack. I think I got this to connect an electronic keyboard to something ... don't remember what.

Anyway, this is a fairly heavy duty cable and 6' long ... perfect for the guitar. I plugged it into the S1 and it's perfect. It does exactly what I want.

So here's the benefit to me:

• I like playing the A6 with both jacks connected (you've hit the right spot in the user's manual). The blend of the two pickups is nice with or without the onboard mixer.
  • Until now, anytime I wanted to use both guitars (to switch between them for performances), I needed my T1 (or some other mixer - T1 is my favourite) as I need three channels for my two guitars and one channel for my mic. This only works when I have power for the T1.
  • Now that you've taught me to use the Aux on the S1, I can carry both guitars and have both plugged into the S1 and switch guitars easily. This is great for me to use without worrying about a power supply, e.g. when busking. And I don't use the bluetooth much anyway!
  • Why two guitars? Well my 12-string is down-tuned by 2 semitones to suit my voice for some of the songs I cover (e.g. Vincent/Don McLean, My Sweet Lady/John Denver, etc). Also the A6 action is delightful so I just like some songs done with that (the A6 is very 'bassy' so when I fingerpick I can toss in a few pseudo-bass riffs for a bit of oomph). If I carry one guitar, it limits the songs that I can cover.

Yeah, I'm often accused of over-engineering things, but that's how I enjoy my music!! It works for me.

Thanks again for this wonderful solution.

Cheers,