Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marty C
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 8, 2012

S1 Pro - Can I bypass the Auto EQ

Any way to bypass the eq changes?   I like the eq in the tiltback position.  However there are times I need it on a pole, but I prefer the eq I get in the tiltback position.  For now, I just elevate the S1 to a table or stool and put it in the tilt back position.  There seems to be too much bass when mounted on the pole.... for my current setup.  Just wondering.   

19 REPLIES 19
jbarner20
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 8, 2018

Re: S1 Pro - Can I bypass the Auto EQ

Marty Cansler posted:

Any way to bypass the eq changes?   I like the eq in the tiltback position.  However there are times I need it on a pole, but I prefer the eq I get in the tiltback position.  For now, I just elevate the S1 to a table or stool and put it in the tilt back position.  There seems to be too much bass when mounted on the pole.... for my current setup.  Just wondering.   

Yeah I noticed that too, mounted is the most bassy which is bad for the little ol’ S1. What I do is I put a microfiber cloth on top on the pole then put the s1 on top. The s1 won’t go in enough to trigger the switch and it protects it from scratches. Then I EQ from my sources. It’s an option ???????

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Marty Cansler,

Marty Cansler posted:

Any way to bypass the eq changes?  

Basically, no. You can use the tone controls on channels 1 and 2, and if you are using the Aux channel (and Bluetooth), you have to apply EQ changes at the source.  Please see the explanation about what and why the Auto EQ is doing below.

I like the eq in the tiltback position.  However there are times I need it on a pole, but I prefer the eq I get in the tiltback position.  For now, I just elevate the S1 to a table or stool and put it in the tilt back position.  There seems to be too much bass when mounted on the pole.... for my current setup.  Just wondering.   

Bose engineered the S1 Pro to sound great in these four settings:

• On a speaker stand (this is the basic reference position - the way Bose engineered the S1 Pro to sound)
  • Tabletop
  • Tilt-Back
  • Horizontal (as a monitor)

The S1 Pro System uses an accelerometer[1] to determine if it is in the tilt-back, horizontal or vertical position. It also has a switch inside the pole cup to determine if it is mounted on a speaker stand. Based on the orientation and the switch, the S1 Pro System automatically applies the correct EQ.

If you take a loudspeaker and put it on a speaker stand, then a tabletop, and then on the floor, the sound will change[2]. When the speaker is on a tabletop or the floor, it is interacting with the boundaries (tabletop, floor, walls, and ceiling too). This means if you want great sound in all situations you have to EQ the loudspeaker.

Bose tuned the S1 Pro to sound great in all four positions (speaker stand, tabletop, floor (both tilt-back and horizontal)) taking into account the boundaries. And the engineers carefully considered how you would be using the S1 Pro. That's why there are two settings for the floor (tilt-back and monitor).

If you could put the S1 Pro in a free field[3] here's what might hear.

Using the speaker stand position as a reference:

• Tabletop: a little less bass than speaker stand
  • Tilt-back: a little less bass than Tabletop.
  • Horizontal: about the same as Tilt-back except there's some EQ treatment to support use as a monitor.

1. Accelerometer
  2. How Boundaries Affect Loudspeakers
  3. Free Field

Reference: S1 Pro Auto EQ

ST

DavidE2
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2006

If I want a lot of bass, what's a safe way to trigger the pole switch?

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi DavidE2,

DavidE2 posted:

If I want a lot of bass, what's a safe way to trigger the pole switch?

You need a pole that is 

• 1-3/8 inches in diameter (35 mm)
  • Long enough to reach to the end of the pole cup.
    • That's approximately 4 inches (101 mm) from the flat bottom of the S1 Pro.
    • You will need something shorter if you want to use the S1 Pro in the tilt-back position.

Do not tape the switch in place. If you gum it up or damage the switch, that's user-inflicted-damage and not covered under warranty.

ST

Archtop_Eddy
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Thanks fellas for moving this post to the correct thread.  I brought up this suggestion knowing there might be some kick-back justifying the Auto EQ system. I had previously read the Bose philosophy regarding the S1 Pro Auto EQ and understand it.  In general, it's a reasonable concept to auto adjust the EQ based on position/angle of the S1 unit.  However, numerous members have also mentioned a preference to adjust the EQ without interference from the Auto EQ.  These inputs come from members who use the S1 every day in varying real-world situations. They clearly have sound preferences that may not be effectively considered or handled by a one-setting, do-it-all Auto EQ.  With only two bands of controllable EQ on the S1, the ability to adjust the sound-scape on the S1 Pro is very limited. At times a performer needs to set the S1 either on the floor, at an angle, on poles, etc., strictly because of logistics and space limitations -- not because of sound considerations. Rather than helping, having the EQ automatically activate while trying to set up in a challenging environment only exasperates the the situation. Besides, it seems reasonable that a user should be able to make his or her own choices regarding how they want their unit to sound -- even if it goes against Bose's concepts of the ideal EQ settings.  Many times we are thankful for Bose's Auto EQ, but at times when we don't want it activated, we should have a choice of turning it off.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Archtop Eddy,

The basic "flat" sound (no EQ) is the speaker stand/pole mount sound.  

If you want to turn off Auto EQ, you can use a short pole (see my post to DavidE2 above).

If you try it, please let us know what you hear.

Thanks,

ST

Archtop_Eddy
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

ST posted:

HI ST. Thanks for the quick response.  I'm not understanding here. I thought placing it on a stand activated the pole switch which increases the bass. How does this equate to a "flat" sound (no EQ)?

jbarner20
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 8, 2018

Archtop Eddy posted:
ST posted:

HI ST. Thanks for the quick response.  I'm not understanding here. I thought placing it on a stand activated the pole switch which increases the bass. How does this equate to a "flat" sound (no EQ)?

Yes I thought the same thing. The s1 being elevated on a pole results in no boundaries for the bass to reflect off of so to compensate, the bass in auto EQ is increased. To me the flattest sounding EQ is the monitor position. 

DavidE2
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2006

jbarner20 posted:
Archtop Eddy posted:
ST posted:

Yes I thought the same thing. The s1 being elevated on a pole results in no boundaries for the bass to reflect off of so to compensate, the bass in auto EQ is increased. To me the flattest sounding EQ is the monitor position. 

If the flat sound is with the pole mount, then the other positions decrease bass vs. the pole mount increasing bass.  Based on a quick test with my Helix, I would think the pole mount might be the flatter sound since it really lacked bass in the other positions compared to running through a pa speaker.