Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisMorgan
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

S1 Pro line out and to Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Evening all,

I would like to use my S1 Pro's line out and connect it into my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge android phone to record what is going through the S1 (guitar and vocals) onto the phome's vouce recorder. I have recorded myself playing just using the phone's internal mic and had fairly decent results but hope/think I may get even better results if I do the above... Any advice would be most gratefully received!

Will this work? Exactly what kind of cable I should use? I am confused by all the 'tip ring sleeve' jargon, sorry!

Many thanks in advance

16 REPLIES 16
oldmachead
Advisor
Registered since

Mar 29, 2010

Re: S1 Pro line out and to Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Chris M posted:

Evening all,

I would like to use my S1 Pro's line out and connect it into my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge android phone to record what is going through the S1 (guitar and vocals) onto the phome's vouce recorder. I have recorded myself playing just using the phone's internal mic and had fairly decent results but hope/think I may get even better results if I do the above... Any advice would be most gratefully received!

Will this work? Exactly what kind of cable I should use? I am confused by all the 'tip ring sleeve' jargon, sorry!

Many thanks in advance

Hi Chris,

At the very top of this thread is a link. Follow that and I believe the linked article has the answer you are seeking. There's an image of the cable you should use and instructions on the usage.

Cheers and good luck.

ChrisMorgan
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

Thanks Troubador, I have read that article but am still unclear as what the picture means as it has a red TRS with the 2 black rings (stereo I assume) and a black one with one black ring (meaning that is mono, I assume)

But are those two jacks both connected to the 3.5 mm jack also shown (with 2 black rings - stereo)??? 

Need this clarifying if anyone can help! Cheers!

prakashwadhwani
Collaborator
Registered since

May 22, 2019

The Galaxy S7 Edge would be expecting a Mic level signal I believe ... Sending in a signal out of the S1 Pro into the phone would be a "Line-Level" signal and would cause the signal to be severely distorted unless an attenuator is used between the S1 pro to the Phone Input.

ST & others ... If I'm wrong please feel free to correct me.

I too am interested in such a solution.

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Actually it's probably even more complicated than that, most mobile phones have TRRS sockets with T=tip=left output, first R=ring closest to tip+right output, second R=ring closest to sleeve=mic input and S=sleeve=common/earth. Powered speakers often have a TRS mini jack stereo input, phones almost never do.

So you need a lead with a TRRS mini jack on one end and three TS ¼" jacks on the other, one will be labled 'mic' and you need to plug that into the S1's Line Out.

But it may still not work as the line out is at 'line level' and the phone's mic input is at mic level. The AGC may not cope and, if their's a manual gain setting it may not go low enough which would result in lots of distortion. The S1 line out has no independent level control so no help from their either.

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

You'd probably need to make an attenuator of 20dB or so to put in line (a special cable would be easy enough to make if you are handy with a soldering iron, build the attenuator into the ¼" plug and connect the wire to the second ring and the sleeve. If you are going that route I'd add a stereo minijack socket to a second cable from the minijack end for a headphone output. I made a similar lead for my iPhone to plug a guitar in and record, not ideal but guitars have a significantly lower level than a line out.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Chris M.

Chris M posted:

Evening all,

Here is are some articles I found that cover the basics concepts.

Many thanks in advance

Once you understand the basics, you can search for an adapter that splits the Android headset connection, so you have a separate connection for a microphone.

But you've got another challenge. The S1 Pro LINE OUT is a LINE-LEVEL balanced mono connection. You'll need to convert signal to an unbalanced microphone-level signal.

If you're handy, you can build an adapter. If not, you can try a device like the ART Cleanbox.  I'm not endorsing that device, but it appears to have the right inputs and outputs.

I'm sorry, I can't give you a simple answer.

ST 

oldmachead
Advisor
Registered since

Mar 29, 2010

Chris M posted:

Thanks Troubador, I have read that article but am still unclear as what the picture means as it has a red TRS with the 2 black rings (stereo I assume) and a black one with one black ring (meaning that is mono, I assume)

But are those two jacks both connected to the 3.5 mm jack also shown (with 2 black rings - stereo)??? 

Need this clarifying if anyone can help! Cheers!

Hi Chris ... which jack do you want to use to record off the S1 Line-out port? I looked at the manual for your phone (not sure if I've got the right version) but couldn't figure out how you seek to connect the S1 to the phone. Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 3.16.16 PM

Here's an excerpt from the S7 Edge manual ... there is a stereo jack for a headset (puts audio out) ... the only other jack I can find here is the Multipurpose jack which is described as:

Multipurpose jack (Micro USB port). You will need this port to connect to a charger, or to a PC.  You can also use the multipurpose jack to connect accessories (e.g., USB OTG devices)  for Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge. To charge Galaxy S7 battery (or Galaxy S7 edge battery)  properly with wall charger, fast charger, wireless charger or fast wireless charger, please check this guide.

This does not look like a line-in to me ... but I don't know anything about Samsung phones. In any event, the 1/8" stereo jack won't work on this port.

Let us know which port you're trying to use to connect to and we can go from there.

Thanks.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Troubador, Chris M.

It looks like the Samsung Galaxy S7 may support external USB Audio interfaces through its USB port using USB On-The-Go (OTG).

I did some hunting around and could not find anything that states that this WILL work, only that it might.

See: Audio Recording with a Smartphone and

USB Audio Recorder PRO

This will require a USB Audio Interface.

S1 Pro LINE OUT to USB Audio Interface to Samsung Galaxy S7 USB connector.

Please don't run out and spend money based on this post. I haven't found anything directly from Samsung that says this will work. They talk about lots of other things you can do with the USB connection.

ST

ChrisMorgan
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

Wow! Thank you all for all that info! An amazing response! I am a bit overwhelmed by your generosity to go to all that trouble! It is very much appreciated.

I had thought that the headphone out jack on the phone would also work as an input, with tje right cable. Hadn't thought about it beyonf that really.

I will read up all that has been so kindly posted above and see where my options lie.

I basically just want to make decent quality recordings of me playing my acoustic and singing.

I may have an oversimplified idea of how to do that in my head. I really don't want to get seriously into recording and using a DWS as I think that would just get overcomplicated for me very quickly.

Maybe I need a Zoom H4N pro or something like that. I don't know as they seem to point the user to then use what is recorded on a DWS rather than being a solution in themselves...

As I said, all I'm really looking for is a decent quality recording solution that is pretty basic amd simple to achieve without getting too record producery!

Would greatly appreciate any advice!

Thanks again, so much, for all the advice and info above!!!