Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sturle
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 11, 2018

No sound, white square

I have Soundtouch 20 and 30. When trying to listen to Internet radio, a white square appears in the display - time after time - and there is no sound. Does anyone know what is happening? And what to do? Bose? Thanks in advance!
Steven
29 REPLIES 29
Brm932
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 7, 2018

Re: No sound, white square

Have you tried factory resetting the speaker? Is the software updated?
Sturle
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 11, 2018

Thank you - I have tried both. No solution 😞
Steven
Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Sturle,

Thanks for the post, and sorry to hear about the issues you're having.

Does this happen with only one internet radio station?  Are you able to try multiple stations?  What about other sources like TuneIn, Spotify, Pandora, etc?

Let us know so we can get this resolved for you.

Best Regards,

Brandon

Sturle
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 11, 2018

Thank you for your reply, Brandon. The white square appears on any of the radio presets and with blue tooth. Sometimes it will not go away, on other occations I can press and press - and then the station suddenly plays. A very annoying problem, of course - I can never be shure if I get the news or not, for instance. Just to be shure: Both of my SoundTouch devices are new and the software is updated. Thanks for your help!

Steven
Joel_D
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi @Sturle,

Thank you for the response. Can you check the signal strengths of your systems within the SoundTouch application and let us know? 

• Open the SoundTouch app, navigate to "Settings", then "About" and choose each system, signal strength will be displayed.

Kind Regards,

Joel

Sturle
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 11, 2018

Thank you. The signal is excellent for both speakers. They play well, too, if / when the white square goes away. What is it supposed to indicate?
Steven
Angryofm
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 1, 2015

There’s at least two other threads about this, you are not alone with your problem:

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/Soundtouch-10-turns-on-but-does-not-play/m-p/11598...

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/Preset-internet-radio-is-not-working-correctly-aft...

It it only happens for me with internet radio pre-sets, my iTunes playlist work fine.

the problem is nothing to do with wifi strength etc (3 of my 7 ST’s are hard wired and they also have the problem)

‘IMHO it might be something to do with the Internet Radio source/database, maybe the way that Bose compile their internet radio access database

Sturle
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 11, 2018

Thank you for links and other information!

Bose must know about this, then - but what happens? Nothing. How disappointing. Not a brand to be trusted or recommended anymore.

😞
Steven
Joel_D
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi @Sturle and @Angryofm,

Thank you both for the replies. Do you notice this happening over time, a couple of hours of listening to the station? Is it all or particular stations from internet radio? Have you tried TuneIn radio and does it occur with that as well? I know that with the Internet Radio they stations may request through the SoundTouch application, that if you are still listening, press "OK" to continue listening. This is to reduce the bandwidth from streaming directly from the stations. 

Let us know the results.

Kind Regards,

Joel