Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TarlikaP
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2017

ST 300 Remote Control - volume buttons stopped working for tv

It is frustrating that all of a suddent I can't get the volume buttons on the ST 300 to work for the tv. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TarlikaP
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2017

Re: ST 300 Remote Control - volume buttons stopped working for tv

Author Accepted Answer selected by Joel_D

Hi,

I was referring to the volume of the Soundbar when watching TV.

I finally was able to resolve this issue. For some reason the TV was not showing the Soundbar anymore. I had to disconnect and then reconnect the HDMI cable and the power from both the Soundbar and TV. This enabled the TV to recognize the external sound system. So everything is working for now. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi TarlikaP,

Thank you for your post. As the SoundTouch 300 is intended to be used with your TV speakers off, the remote control was not engineered to control volume on other devices, such as your TV. 

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns. 

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

TarlikaP
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2017

Hi Brian,

That is interesting because I have been using the system for over 2 months. I configured the ST300 remote to work the soundbar, TV and satellite box. With this remote I was able to lower or increase the volume. Everything was great and I was starting to enjoy the system. 

And then it stopped working. It doesn't make sense that I have to use the TV remote to change volume and can control all other functions using the ST300 remote..  Very disappointing.

Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi TarlikaP,

Thanks for your reply. To clarify, were you previously able to control the TV's own internal speaker volume with the Bose remote? Or, are you referring to the volume for the soundbar itself? If you are no longer able to control the volume for the soundbar itself, then that is certainly an issue we'd want to troubleshoot. 

Let us know, and we'd be happy to assist!

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

TarlikaP
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by Joel_D

Hi,

I was referring to the volume of the Soundbar when watching TV.

I finally was able to resolve this issue. For some reason the TV was not showing the Soundbar anymore. I had to disconnect and then reconnect the HDMI cable and the power from both the Soundbar and TV. This enabled the TV to recognize the external sound system. So everything is working for now. 

View solution in original post

Joel_D
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello TarlikaP,

Thank you for sharing your resolution to your issue. Hopefully this helps other community issues. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Bose Support

TarlikaP
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2017

So the issue of the TV losing the Soundbar connection has happened again. I went thru the process of disconnecting and reconnecting everything again. I keep on having to spend time on the same issue again and again. I am very frustrated becuase don't know what is the root cause of the problem. 

I have a Samsung 900 series TV.

Is there a sequence to turn on/off which has to be followed? What am I missing?

Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi TarlikaP,

Thank you for following up on this issue. I'm sorry to hear that the issue seems to come back after a while. Since disconnecting/reconnecting the HDMI cable seems to temporarily resolve the issue, there is likely an HDMI/CEC handshake issue occurring. Here are a few troubleshooting steps we can try:

1. Be sure your SoundTouch 300 software is updated. You can use the SoundTouch app on a computer or mobile device to update. If your system hasn't already been connected to your home network, you can find setup instructions HERE
  2. If updating the system doesn't resolve the issue, we can next try toggling the SoundTouch 300's CEC setting from DEFAULT ON to ALTERNATE ON
    • Locate the HDMI-CEC setting in the SoundTouch app.
    • In the SoundTouch app, select Menu > Settings > Speaker Settings > [select the system] > Advanced Setup > HDMI-CEC.
    • To change the current setting, select the empty circle next to the preferred option
      1. Default On Enables CEC
      2. Alternate On: Prevents unintended source switching and may fix CEC inconsistencies
      3. Off: Disables CEC
  3. Try resetting both the TV and SoundTouch 300 by disconnecting power from both, for 1 minute. Then, reconnect power and retest. 

Please let us know if any of these steps help!

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

TarlikaP
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2017

Hi Brian,

SoundTouch 300 software version is 17.0.12

SoundTouch 300 CEC setting is already set to HDMI-CEC.

If I have to do step 3. everytime it fails to connect  then it would be very frustrating.

I even tried to working with Smasung tech support on this.

Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi TarlikaP,

Thanks for providing this information. Have you tried toggling the SoundTouch 300 CEC setting between "Default On" and "Alternate On"? Be sure to try this if you haven't yet. The steps are listed in my post above. Let us know if this helps at all!

Step 3 is a great troubleshooting step to try, and we hope it helps to resolve the issue. However, we certainly don't expect you to need to perform these steps often at all. 

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support