Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sander_01
Participant
Registered since

May 28, 2019

SoundTouch app cannot connect speaker

When I try to connect my SoundTouch 30 I eventually run into the error message "Something happened and we couldn't add the speaker to your SoundTouch account. Please try again later".

Here's the complete sequence of events: I had a message about failing to check for updates on my app (both Galaxy S10+ and S6), and the clock was suddenly missing on the device, even though it was turned on in the app. Based on some Bose community entries decided to do a factory reset and that's when the mess started.

After the reset when I try to connect to the speaker through my phone (selecting the "WiFi" option) it does not find the speaker. It just keeps searching, but gives no error message. After 10 minutes complete unresponsiveness I decided to press "Cancel". 

Next, I tried through my laptop (Windows 10). When I choose the WiFi-option there it surprisingly asks me to connect through USB (??), which works fine. I get the ST30 to connect to my WiFi (LED becomes white instead of amber), and I'm told to remove the USB. Then, I can continue to add the speaker to my account, and t actually finds the speaker through my WiFi network. This time both on my mobile and on my laptop. I get to enter a name, the "Naming Speaker - Please wait. This could take a minute or two" message pops up, and after a couple of minutes I get the above mentioned error.

So, after succesfully connecting the ST30 to the WiFi I can find it on both devices, and both devices give the same error. However, when I change the name on one device, wait until the error and then try to find the speaker on my other device, it does find it under the new name. 

Please note that I changed nothing to my setup. It worked with the same ISP, router, phones, laptop etc., until this error message on failure to look for updates popped up. I also tried resetting the speaker again, disconnecting the router, etc. etc., all the things proposed in other threads. I know the community is full of threads on this exact same error/issue, but none actually lead to a solution. The whole setup is less than half a year old, and I expect this to work.

6 REPLIES 6
Jessie_O

Re: SoundTouch app cannot connect speaker

Hi Sander_01, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced with your SoundTouch 30 system. I'd be more than happy to assist you with this! 

Though you have experienced all of these symptoms it seems as though the issue lies with the update. I have included the link HERE which gives you alternative ways to update the system outside of the application. 

Once the update is completed, go ahead and try adding to the application again under 'Speaker Already Connected to Network'. 

Let me know how you get on! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Sander_01
Participant
Registered since

May 28, 2019

Hi Jessie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I updated the speaker from my laptop, but unfortunately I'm still having the exact same error when I try to connect the speaker (regardless from which device).

Best,

Sander

Livia095
Participant
Registered since

Oct 24, 2018

If that doesn't resolve it please also make sure the device you're running the app on is connected to the same network prepaidgiftbalance

Jessie_O

Hi Sander, 

thank you for coming back to us! I'm sorry to hear that the update did not resolve your issue. 

I would recommend following what @Livia095 has suggested. This is an important step in the troubleshooting process. 

If this is unsuccessful, try uninstalling the application and re-adding it. 

Let me know how you get on! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Sander_01
Participant
Registered since

May 28, 2019

Hi Jessie,

The suggestions from @Livia095 certainly weren't the issue, but it did trigger me to try something else. Figuring it may be my home WiFi network causing the issues (note that it did work before on the exact same setup, but still...) I tried the following: I used one mobile phone as a WiFi hotspot to create an alternative network, and then and used another phone to set up the SoundTouch over that network. And surprise surprise, that worked like a charm. However, that's clearly not a sustainable solution, but it at least confirmed that there was some issue with my home WiFi.

But then to my big surprise after resetting the speaker again and trying to set it up again on my (unaltered) home network,it suddenly worked. I have no clue how that could happen, but somehow it seems that the connection to an alternate network made the speaker "snap out if it".  In any case, problem solved for now, but I wouldn't consider it a proper solution.

Thanks,

Sander

punjabimunda
Participant
Registered since

Oct 27, 2020

If your SoundTouch system will not connect to your network, try the following: ... system; SoundTouch® 300 soundbar; SoundTouch AM3 Wi-Fi speaker system ... type were recently changed, update the network settings in the SoundTouch app3DS Emulator for Windows 10