Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2020

QC35II is turning on by itself

Hi, I am from the US and I have a problem with my Bose QC35 II headphones. Today, I noticed that my headphones turns on by itself without me turning the switch on. The battery light symbol lights up and connects to my phone. It seems like when I'm near it with a device such as my phone or laptop, the headphones automatically turn on and connect. Is there a way to fix this? thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: QC35II is turning on by itself

@seanjlee312Interesting.  That was happening only with faulty on/off switches on the QC35i.  Could the manufacturing date be before Dec 2018?  I wonder if you have an early model with a faulty switch or whether it is something else.

You can download a free app on your phone to check for Bluetooth Low Emission (BLE) signals.  Having any device whether phone or otherwise come near your QC35ii should be totally immaterial if the QC35ii is NOT emitting a BLE signal.  I just checked my own situation with my app (the iPhone BLE Scanner app) and it did not show any BLE signal coming out of my QC35i.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2020

And on top of this problem, currently I cannot connect my headphones to my phone when I want it to. I have the Bose app downloaded, and when I try to connect it says "hm... We still couldn't connect..." 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2020

I used the BLE signal app, and when I turn on my headphones, it shows up on the app but when I turn them off, it goes away. It seems like there is no BLE signal coming from my headphones.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2020

Actually, I am only able to connect my headphones to my phone through the settings app. The Bose app says that my headphone's date of manufacturing is September 28, 2018. Does this mean my headphones may by faulty?

Highlighted

Hey @seanjlee312,

That sounds like quite an unusual issue. To confirm, the headphones will turn on and display the battery LED - even when the switch is set to off?

Also, to address the Bluetooth issues, I'd advise clearing all history of connections and pairings as shown HERE. After, try connecting and let me know if you're still having trouble with the Bose Connect app finding your headphones.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2020

I deleted previous bluetooth connections, and I got the headphones to connect through the Bose app after trying several times. Currently, the headphones have also stopped turning on by itself, which is good, but I will keep an eye to see if it happens again. Thank you!

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2020

Ok, my headphones are acting up again. It's turning on by itself again, even when I turn off bluetooth on my phone and laptop. Please help. The LED lights are turning on by itself, and it is also making the sound that signifies it is turned on. 

Highlighted

Hi seanjlee312,

Thank you for the update! I'm sorry to hear it has started happening again!

The next thing you would want to do to fix this is a reset of your headphones. To do this you would want to: 

• Power off your headphones.
  • Wait 30 seconds.
  • Connect your headset to a wall outlet using a USB charger.
  • Wait five seconds.
  • Disconnect the USB cable from the headset.
  • Wait one minute.
  • Power on your headphones.

It would also be worth making sure they are fully up to date using the Device Updater on a computer and following the on-screen instructions.

Let me know how this goes!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2020

When I connect the headphones to the charger, wait 5 seconds and then take it out, it turns on by itself and connects to the Bluetooth without me turning on the switch. Also, the updating didn't solve the problem.